-   -   Manual failback commands (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/319651-manual-failback-commands.html)

Scott Dungan 02-02-2010 11:39 PM

Manual failback commands

Hello all.

If we set a device to manual failback, how does one command the
multipathd service to reinstate the path when we have decided the path
is indeed ready to accept IO?

Thanks,

-Scott

Christophe Varoqui 02-03-2010 12:07 AM

Manual failback commands

On mar., 2010-02-02 at 16:39 -0800, Scott Dungan wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> If we set a device to manual failback, how does one command the
> multipathd service to reinstate the path when we have decided the path
> is indeed ready to accept IO?

paths are automatically reinstated by multipathd.

The 'failback' parameter means the original path_group is not
re-activated after a switch-over to a secondary path_group.

You can force multipathd to not reinstate a path using the CLI (or
pro-actively disable it).

Regards,
cvaroqui
http://www.opensvc.com

Scott Dungan 02-03-2010 03:49 PM

Manual failback commands

On mar., 2010-02-02 at 16:39 -0800, Scott Dungan wrote:

Hello all.

If we set a device to manual failback, how does one command the
multipathd service to reinstate the path when we have decided the path
is indeed ready to accept IO?

paths are automatically reinstated by multipathd.

The 'failback' parameter means the original path_group is not
re-activated after a switch-over to a secondary path_group.

You can force multipathd to not reinstate a path using the CLI (or
pro-actively disable it).

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand this better now.
Would it be possible to post CLI example(s) of reinstating or disabling
a path? I cannot seem to find such an example in documentation or other
available resources.

Regards,

-Scott

Christophe Varoqui 02-03-2010 03:59 PM

Manual failback commands

On mer., 2010-02-03 at 08:49 -0800, Scott Dungan wrote:
> > On mar., 2010-02-02 at 16:39 -0800, Scott Dungan wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all.
> >>
> >> If we set a device to manual failback, how does one command the
> >> multipathd service to reinstate the path when we have decided the path
> >> is indeed ready to accept IO?
> >>

> > paths are automatically reinstated by multipathd.
> >
> > The 'failback' parameter means the original path_group is not
> > re-activated after a switch-over to a secondary path_group.
> >
> > You can force multipathd to not reinstate a path using the CLI (or
> > pro-actively disable it).
> >
> Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand this better now.
> Would it be possible to post CLI example(s) of reinstating or disabling
> a path? I cannot seem to find such an example in documentation or other
> available resources.

The cli has a syntax help message, accessed using 'help' or whatever
unknown keyword.

The relevant commands are:
reinstate path $path
fail path $path

which wrap 1/ the dm messaging to fail/resinstate a path and 2/
disable/enable the specified path checking in multipathd

--
cvaroqui,
http://www.opensvc.com

Scott Dungan 02-03-2010 04:44 PM

Manual failback commands

The cli has a syntax help message, accessed using 'help' or whatever
unknown keyword.

The relevant commands are:
reinstate path $path
fail path $path

which wrap 1/ the dm messaging to fail/resinstate a path and 2/
disable/enable the specified path checking in multipathd

Thanks for your continued help. Perhaps I am using the incorrect tools.
Neither the 'multipath' command or the interactive mode of the
multipathd daemon (multipath -k) have any of those directives documented
under the 'help' listing, nor do they respond to them when I use them as
you specify above. What CLI command are you using with those directives?
Like:

%cli_command% reinstate path $path

-Scott

Christophe Varoqui 02-03-2010 06:33 PM

Manual failback commands

On mer., 2010-02-03 at 09:44 -0800, Scott Dungan wrote:
> > The cli has a syntax help message, accessed using 'help' or whatever
> > unknown keyword.
> >
> > The relevant commands are:
> > reinstate path $path
> > fail path $path
> >
> > which wrap 1/ the dm messaging to fail/resinstate a path and 2/
> > disable/enable the specified path checking in multipathd
> >

> Thanks for your continued help. Perhaps I am using the incorrect tools.
> Neither the 'multipath' command or the interactive mode of the
> multipathd daemon (multipath -k) have any of those directives documented
> under the 'help' listing, nor do they respond to them when I use them as
> you specify above. What CLI command are you using with those directives?
> Like:
>
> %cli_command% reinstate path $path

'multipathd -khelp' on most distro-shipped multipath-tools.
'multipathd help' is also possible with upstream.

Scott Dungan 02-03-2010 06:55 PM

Manual failback commands

On 2/3/2010 11:33 AM, Christophe Varoqui wrote:

[...]

Yes, I understand that. If I run 'multipathd -k' and then help, these
are the commands that are listed:

list|show paths
list|show maps
add path $path
remove|del path $path
add map $map
remove|del map $map
switch|switchgroup map $map group $group
dump pathvec
reconfigure
disablequeueing map $map
restorequeueing map $map

Where are the 'reinstate path' or 'fail path' directives you mention in
this thread? In case this is a version issue, we are running with
version device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-30.el5_4.4. What version are you
running where the 'reinstate path' or 'fail path' directives are listed
in help or otherwise function?

-Scott

Scott Dungan 02-04-2010 05:18 PM

Manual failback commands

On 2/3/2010 11:55 AM, Scott Dungan wrote:
Yes, I understand that. If I run 'multipathd -k' and then help, these
are the commands that are listed:

list|show paths
list|show maps
add path $path
remove|del path $path
add map $map
remove|del map $map
switch|switchgroup map $map group $group
dump pathvec
reconfigure
disablequeueing map $map
restorequeueing map $map

Where are the 'reinstate path' or 'fail path' directives you mention
in this thread? In case this is a version issue, we are running with
version device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-30.el5_4.4. What version are you
running where the 'reinstate path' or 'fail path' directives are
listed in help or otherwise function?

-Scott

It looks like I have answered my own question. I was confused about
which version we were running. I was testing against version 4.5. Those
commands are not available in version 4.5 (RHEL 4.8). They are present
in version 4.7 (RHEL 5.x).

Thanks for your help.

-Scott

--