-   -   boot from san & lvm (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/31019-boot-san-lvm.html)

"Urs Golla" 01-07-2008 02:36 PM

boot from san & lvm

Hi

I would like to boot RHEL5 from SAN. If I install with the "mpath"
parameter I can see the mapper/mpath0 device and the installation
completes without any errors.

It boots from SAN and everything looks ok (well, lets say its
working). If i add this lines to /etc/lvm/lvm.conf

types = [ "device-mapper", 1]
"filter = [ "a/dev/mpath/.*/", "r/.*/" ]"

and remove the blacklist lines from /etc/multipath.conf as described
in the "Native Multipath Failover Based on DM-MPIO for v2.6.x Linux
Kernel and EMC(R) Storage Arrays" manual the pvscan command returns
with " No matching physical volumes found". Why?

If I remove the filter line from lvm.conf the pvscan & pvdisplay
command returns:

(...)
PV Name /dev/mapper/mpath0p2
(...)

Why is it using mpath0p2 and not mpath0? /dev/mapper/mpath0 does exist
and points to the right disks, because "multipath -ll" gives me
something like that:

mpath0 () dm-0 EMC,SYMMETRIX
[size=17G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=9][active]
\_ 2:0:0:67 sda 8:0 [active][ready]
\_ 2:0:0:33795 sdc 8:32 [active][ready]
\_ 2:0:0:33811 sdd 8:48 [active][ready]
\_ 2:0:0:37891 sde 8:64 [active][ready]
\_ 2:0:0:37907 sdf 8:80 [active][ready]
\_ 2:0:0:41987 sdg 8:96 [active][ready]
\_ 2:0:0:42003 sdh 8:112 [active][ready]
\_ 2:0:0:46083 sdi 8:128 [active][ready]
\_ 2:0:0:46099 sdj 8:144 [active][ready]

Any help would be most welcome!

cheers
Urs

01-07-2008 02:44 PM

boot from san & lvm

Urs Golla [urs.golla@gmail.com] wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to boot RHEL5 from SAN. If I install with the "mpath"
> parameter I can see the mapper/mpath0 device and the installation
> completes without any errors.
>
> It boots from SAN and everything looks ok (well, lets say its
> working). If i add this lines to /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
>
> types = [ "device-mapper", 1]
> "filter = [ "a/dev/mpath/.*/", "r/.*/" ]"

Try "mapper" instead of "mpath" above to handle partitions on your
devices.

> and remove the blacklist lines from /etc/multipath.conf as described
> in the "Native Multipath Failover Based on DM-MPIO for v2.6.x Linux
> Kernel and EMC(R) Storage Arrays" manual the pvscan command returns
> with " No matching physical volumes found". Why?
>
> If I remove the filter line from lvm.conf the pvscan & pvdisplay
> command returns:
>
> (...)
> PV Name /dev/mapper/mpath0p2
> (...)
>
> Why is it using mpath0p2 and not mpath0? /dev/mapper/mpath0 does exist
> and points to the right disks, because "multipath -ll" gives me
> something like that:

You must be having partitions on your disk (either you did or the
installer did for you).

"Urs Golla" 01-07-2008 03:02 PM

boot from san & lvm

Hi

Thank you for your reply!

Using "mapper" instead of mpath did it!

hm... i think the partition (mpath0p1) is just "/boot" and mpath0p2 is
the rest. this would mean, everything is ok now?

cheers

"Urs Golla" 01-07-2008 03:12 PM

boot from san & lvm

I just did a reboot. now i have tons of errors like:

device-mapper: table: 253:7: multipath: error getting device
device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table