Old 03-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Konrad Rzeszutek

Default Fix race-condition when reading sysfs attributes.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 04:34:38PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 16:24, Konrad Rzeszutek <konrad@virtualiron.com> wrote:
> > This fix re-introduces a wait loop when reading sysfs attributes.
> > The reason a wait is necessary is due to the way the kernel
> > sends the event.
>
> > There are four uevents sent from the kernel in the creation of
> > a SysFS representation of the device. After the last event, the
> > SysFs entries for vendor,model, rev are populated. The window
> > time between the uevent with /block/sdX sent and the sysfs
> > attributes being populated is small.
>
> What kernel version are you using? I thought we fixed all that long ago.

RHEL5.3. Which I thought had many of the fixes from upstream. Let me build
the most recent version and see if I can trigger these issues on that
version.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Konrad Rzeszutek

> > > There are four uevents sent from the kernel in the creation of
> > > a SysFS representation of the device. After the last event, the
> > > SysFs entries for vendor,model, rev are populated. The window
> > > time between the uevent with /block/sdX sent and the sysfs
> > > attributes being populated is small.
> >
> > What kernel version are you using? I thought we fixed all that long ago.
>
> RHEL5.3. Which I thought had many of the fixes from upstream. Let me build
> the most recent version and see if I can trigger these issues on that
> version.

Kay,
You were right. I can't reproduce the failure on the more recent versions
of kernels. Thanks for spotting that.