Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Device-mapper Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/)
-   -   Problem with multipathd and a blacklisted device (http://www.linux-archive.org/device-mapper-development/269055-problem-multipathd-blacklisted-device.html)

"Ransegnola, Lori" 03-24-2009 12:27 PM

Problem with multipathd and a blacklisted device
 
I sent this question last week and have not heard a thing. Do you have a suggestion of a better mailing list that I should use for this question?

Thank you.

Lori

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ransegnola, Lori
> Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:51 PM
> To: dm-devel@redhat.com
> Cc: Ransegnola, Lori
> Subject: Problem with multipathd and a blacklisted device
>
> Configuration:
> --------------
>
> I have a multipath configuration set up where 10 disks are
> multipathed and 2 disks are blacklisted and are not
> multipathed. Here are the relevant parts of the multipath.conf file:
>
> defaults {
> udev_dir /dev
> polling_interval 10
> selector "round-robin 0"
> # path_grouping_policy multibus
> getuid_callout "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
> prio_callout /bin/true
> # path_checker readsector0
> path_checker tur
> rr_min_io 100
> rr_weight priorities
> failback immediate
> no_path_retry fail
> user_friendly_name yes
> }
>
> blacklist {
> # wwid 26353900f02796769
> # devnode "^(ram|raw|loop|fd|md|dm-|sr|scd|st)[0-9]*"
> # devnode "^hd[a-z]"
> wwid 35000c5000a41f72b
> wwid 35000c5000a41f98b
> devnode "^cciss!c[0-9]d[0-9]*"
> }
>
>
> The two disks that are not multipathed have udev rules and
> are part of a software RAID set. The devices show up as
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d> ls -l /dev/hpdev
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 18 10:50 sda1 -> ../sda1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 18 03:32 sdb1 -> ../sdb1
>
> /dev/md0 is created with sda and sdb. Here is the bottom of
> the 'mdadm --detail /dev/md0' output:
>
> /root> mdadm --detail /dev/md0
> /dev/md0:
> Version
> ...
> Failed Devices : 0
> Spare Devices : 0
>
> UUID : 94813396:a3e341fc:c5d4b8ba:0617a019
> Events : 0.84
>
> Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
> 0 8 1 0 active sync /dev/sda1
> 1 8 17 1 active sync /dev/sdb1
> /root>
>
> I am running on a Linux RHEL5 U2 system.
> /etc/udev/rules.d> uname -a
> Linux n0 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux /etc/udev/rules.d> multipath
> -v Missing option arguement multipath-tools v0.4.7 (03/12, 2006)
> ----------------------------
>
> Problem:
>
> This configuration works well until I do some failure testing
> with one of the 2 blacklisted devs in the software RAID set.
> I found that if I temporarily remove disk sda and put it back
> a minute later the disk path, /dev/hpdev/sda1, is removed,
> even though it is blacklisted.
>
> Here are some of the pertinent /var/log/messages lines:
>
> Mar 19 09:53:19 n0 mdadm: NewArray /dev/md0 Mar 19 10:05:12
> n0 kernel: mptbase: ioc0: LogInfo(0x31170000):
> Originator={PL}, Code={IO Device Missing Delay Retry},
> SubCode(0x0000) Mar 19 10:05:40 n0 last message repeated 5
> times Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: mptbase: ioc0:
> LogInfo(0x31130000): Originator={PL}, Code={IO Not Yet
> Executed}, SubCode(0x0000) Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: sd
> 0:0:28:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00010000 Mar 19
> 10:05:42 n0 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector
> 256119 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device
> sda1, logical block 256056 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: Buffer
> I/O error on device sda1, logical block 256057 Mar 19
> 10:05:42 n0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical
> block 256058 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on
> device sda1, logical block 256059 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel:
> Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 256060 Mar 19
> 10:05:42 n0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical
> block 256061 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: mptbase: ioc0:
> LogInfo(0x31130000): Originator={PL}, Code={IO Not Yet
> Executed}, SubCode(0x0000) Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: Buffer
> I/O error on device sda1, logical block 256062 Mar 19
> 10:05:42 n0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical
> block 256063 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: sd 0:0:28:0: SCSI
> error: return code = 0x00010000 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0
> multipathd: sda: remove path (uevent) Mar 19 10:05:42 n0
> kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 585922495 Mar
> 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda1,
> logical block 585922432 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 xinetd[13096]:
> START: hacl-cfgudp pid=6034 from=127.0.0.1 Mar 19 10:05:42 n0
> multipathd: uevent trigger error Mar 19 10:05:42 n0 kernel:
> Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 585922433
>
>
> The sda path is gone:
>
> /root> ls -l /dev/hpdev
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 18 03:32 sdb1 -> ../sdb1 /root>
>
> And I cannot reassemble the software raid set. While the
> mdstat looks 'normal' the software raid becomes degraded.
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d> cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md0 : active raid1 sda1[2](F) sdb1[1]
> 292961216 blocks [2/1] [_U]
>
> unused devices: <none>
> /etc/udev/rules.d> mdadm --detail /dev/md0
> /dev/md0:
> Version : 00.90.03
> Creation Time : Wed Feb 18 14:15:03 2009
> Raid Level : raid1
> Array Size : 292961216 (279.39 GiB 299.99 GB)
> Device Size : 292961216 (279.39 GiB 299.99 GB)
> Raid Devices : 2
> Total Devices : 2
> Preferred Minor : 0
> Persistence : Superblock is persistent
>
> Update Time : Thu Mar 19 10:28:45 2009
> State : clean, degraded
> Active Devices : 1
> Working Devices : 1
> Failed Devices : 1
> Spare Devices : 0
>
> UUID : 94813396:a3e341fc:c5d4b8ba:0617a019
> Events : 0.86
>
> Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
> 0 0 0 0 removed
> 1 8 17 1 active sync /dev/sdb1
>
> 2 8 1 - faulty spare
> /etc/udev/rules.d>
>
> The disk is fine and is back in and ready to go.
>
> So, 1) why does multipathd remove the path for a blacklisted
> device? If it is blacklisted, shouldn't multipathd just
> leave it alone??
> And 2) what can I do to keep this from happening??
>
> Lori Ransegnola
>

--
dm-devel mailing list
dm-devel@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/dm-devel

03-24-2009 12:42 PM

Problem with multipathd and a blacklisted device
 
Ransegnola, Lori [Lori.Ransegnola@hp.com] wrote:
> I sent this question last week and have not heard a thing. Do you have a suggestion of a better mailing list that I should use for this question?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Lori
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Ransegnola, Lori
> > Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:51 PM
> > To: dm-devel@redhat.com
> > Cc: Ransegnola, Lori
> > Subject: Problem with multipathd and a blacklisted device
> >
> > Configuration:
> > --------------
> >
> > I have a multipath configuration set up where 10 disks are
> > multipathed and 2 disks are blacklisted and are not
> > multipathed. Here are the relevant parts of the multipath.conf file:
> >
> > defaults {
> > udev_dir /dev
> > polling_interval 10
> > selector "round-robin 0"
> > # path_grouping_policy multibus
> > getuid_callout "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
> > prio_callout /bin/true
> > # path_checker readsector0
> > path_checker tur
> > rr_min_io 100
> > rr_weight priorities
> > failback immediate
> > no_path_retry fail
> > user_friendly_name yes
> > }
> >
> > blacklist {
> > # wwid 26353900f02796769
> > # devnode "^(ram|raw|loop|fd|md|dm-|sr|scd|st)[0-9]*"
> > # devnode "^hd[a-z]"
> > wwid 35000c5000a41f72b
> > wwid 35000c5000a41f98b
> > devnode "^cciss!c[0-9]d[0-9]*"
> > }
> >
> >
> > The two disks that are not multipathed have udev rules and
> > are part of a software RAID set. The devices show up as
> >
> > /etc/udev/rules.d> ls -l /dev/hpdev
> > total 0
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 18 10:50 sda1 -> ../sda1
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 18 03:32 sdb1 -> ../sdb1
> >
> > /dev/md0 is created with sda and sdb. Here is the bottom of
> > the 'mdadm --detail /dev/md0' output:
> >
> > /root> mdadm --detail /dev/md0
> > /dev/md0:
> > Version
> > ...
> > Failed Devices : 0
> > Spare Devices : 0
> >
> > UUID : 94813396:a3e341fc:c5d4b8ba:0617a019
> > Events : 0.84
> >
> > Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
> > 0 8 1 0 active sync /dev/sda1
> > 1 8 17 1 active sync /dev/sdb1
> > /root>
> >
> > I am running on a Linux RHEL5 U2 system.
> > /etc/udev/rules.d> uname -a
> > Linux n0 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007
> > x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux /etc/udev/rules.d> multipath
> > -v Missing option arguement multipath-tools v0.4.7 (03/12, 2006)
> > ----------------------------
> >
> > Problem:
> >
> > This configuration works well until I do some failure testing
> > with one of the 2 blacklisted devs in the software RAID set.
> > I found that if I temporarily remove disk sda and put it back
> > a minute later the disk path, /dev/hpdev/sda1, is removed, even
> > though it is blacklisted.

What is 'multipath -ll' output before you remove the blacklisted device?
What is 'multipath -ll' output after you put the device back a minute
later?

Thanks, Malahal.

--
dm-devel mailing list
dm-devel@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/dm-devel

"Ransegnola, Lori" 03-24-2009 08:12 PM

Problem with multipathd and a blacklisted device
 
Here is the 'multipath -ll' output before disk was pulled:

/root> ls -l /dev/hpdev
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 24 11:53 sda1 -> ../sdm1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 24 11:53 sdb1 -> ../sdn1
/root> multipath -ll
multisde (35000c5000a41e633) dm-2 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:5:0 sde 8:64 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:19:0 sdq 65:0 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41e44bdm-5 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:8:0 sdh 8:112 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:22:0 sdt 65:48 [active][ready]
multisdc (35000c5000a41f38f) dm-0 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:3:0 sdc 8:32 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:17:0 sdo 8:224 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41e9bbdm-7 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:10:0 sdj 8:144 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:24:0 sdv 65:80 [active][ready]
35000c50004acb2cfdm-1 HP,DF0300B8053
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:4:0 sdd 8:48 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:18:0 sdp 8:240 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41f1b3dm-4 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:7:0 sdg 8:96 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:21:0 sds 65:32 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41f997dm-9 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:12:0 sdl 8:176 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:26:0 sdx 65:112 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41f37fdm-6 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:9:0 sdi 8:128 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:23:0 sdu 65:64 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41e0efdm-8 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:11:0 sdk 8:160 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:25:0 sdw 65:96 [active][ready]
multisdf (35000c5000a41f007) dm-3 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:6:0 sdf 8:80 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:20:0 sdr 65:16 [active][ready]
/root>

Now once the disk has been pulled and the path to the device is lost:

/root> ls -l /dev/hpdev
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 24 11:53 sdb1 -> ../sdn1
/root> multipath -ll
multisde (35000c5000a41e633) dm-2 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:5:0 sde 8:64 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:19:0 sdq 65:0 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41e44bdm-5 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:8:0 sdh 8:112 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:22:0 sdt 65:48 [active][ready]
multisdc (35000c5000a41f38f) dm-0 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:3:0 sdc 8:32 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:17:0 sdo 8:224 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41e9bbdm-7 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:10:0 sdj 8:144 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:24:0 sdv 65:80 [active][ready]
35000c50004acb2cfdm-1 HP,DF0300B8053
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:4:0 sdd 8:48 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:18:0 sdp 8:240 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41f1b3dm-4 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:7:0 sdg 8:96 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:21:0 sds 65:32 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41f997dm-9 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:12:0 sdl 8:176 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:26:0 sdx 65:112 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41f37fdm-6 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:9:0 sdi 8:128 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:23:0 sdu 65:64 [active][ready]
35000c5000a41e0efdm-8 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:11:0 sdk 8:160 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:25:0 sdw 65:96 [active][ready]
multisdf (35000c5000a41f007) dm-3 HP,DF300BB6C3
[size=279G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 0:0:6:0 sdf 8:80 [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 0:0:20:0 sdr 65:16 [active][ready]
/root>

Please let me know if there is any other information that you require from the node. Thank you.

Lori

> -----Original Message-----
> From: dm-devel-bounces@redhat.com
> [mailto:dm-devel-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of malahal@us.ibm.com
> Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:42 AM
> To: dm-devel@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [dm-devel] RE: Problem with multipathd and a
> blacklisted device
>
> Ransegnola, Lori [Lori.Ransegnola@hp.com] wrote:
> > I sent this question last week and have not heard a thing.
> Do you have a suggestion of a better mailing list that I
> should use for this question?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Lori
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Ransegnola, Lori
> > > Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:51 PM
> > > To: dm-devel@redhat.com
> > > Cc: Ransegnola, Lori
> > > Subject: Problem with multipathd and a blacklisted device
> > >
> > > Configuration:
> > > --------------
> > >
> > > I have a multipath configuration set up where 10 disks are
> > > multipathed and 2 disks are blacklisted and are not multipathed.
> > > Here are the relevant parts of the multipath.conf file:
> > >
> > > defaults {
> > > udev_dir /dev
> > > polling_interval 10
> > > selector "round-robin 0"
> > > # path_grouping_policy multibus
> > > getuid_callout "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
> > > prio_callout /bin/true
> > > # path_checker readsector0
> > > path_checker tur
> > > rr_min_io 100
> > > rr_weight priorities
> > > failback immediate
> > > no_path_retry fail
> > > user_friendly_name yes
> > > }
> > >
> > > blacklist {
> > > # wwid 26353900f02796769
> > > # devnode "^(ram|raw|loop|fd|md|dm-|sr|scd|st)[0-9]*"
> > > # devnode "^hd[a-z]"
> > > wwid 35000c5000a41f72b
> > > wwid 35000c5000a41f98b
> > > devnode "^cciss!c[0-9]d[0-9]*"
> > > }
> > >
> > >
> > > The two disks that are not multipathed have udev rules
> and are part
> > > of a software RAID set. The devices show up as
> > >
> > > /etc/udev/rules.d> ls -l /dev/hpdev
> > > total 0
> > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 18 10:50 sda1 -> ../sda1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1
> > > root root 7 Mar 18 03:32 sdb1 -> ../sdb1
> > >
> > > /dev/md0 is created with sda and sdb. Here is the bottom of the
> > > 'mdadm --detail /dev/md0' output:
> > >
> > > /root> mdadm --detail /dev/md0
> > > /dev/md0:
> > > Version
> > > ...
> > > Failed Devices : 0
> > > Spare Devices : 0
> > >
> > > UUID : 94813396:a3e341fc:c5d4b8ba:0617a019
> > > Events : 0.84
> > >
> > > Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
> > > 0 8 1 0 active sync /dev/sda1
> > > 1 8 17 1 active sync /dev/sdb1
> > > /root>
> > >
> > > I am running on a Linux RHEL5 U2 system.
> > > /etc/udev/rules.d> uname -a
> > > Linux n0 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007
> > > x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux /etc/udev/rules.d> multipath -v
> > > Missing option arguement multipath-tools v0.4.7 (03/12, 2006)
> > > ----------------------------
> > >
> > > Problem:
> > >
> > > This configuration works well until I do some failure
> testing with
> > > one of the 2 blacklisted devs in the software RAID set.
> > > I found that if I temporarily remove disk sda and put it back a
> > > minute later the disk path, /dev/hpdev/sda1, is removed,
> even though
> > > it is blacklisted.
>
> What is 'multipath -ll' output before you remove the
> blacklisted device?
> What is 'multipath -ll' output after you put the device back
> a minute later?
>
> Thanks, Malahal.
>
> --
> dm-devel mailing list
> dm-devel@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/dm-devel
>

--
dm-devel mailing list
dm-devel@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/dm-devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.