Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Akio Takebe

Default Test results of dm-ioband

Hi, all

Nice to meet you. I'm new to device-mapper.
I'd like to use dm-ioband because it would be useful for virtual environment(kvm, xen).
So I tested dm-ioband, and my test results are below.
I hope it's a help that dm-ioband is committed to mainline.
Any comments are welcome.

Tested-by: Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@jp.fujitsu.com>

Test Discription:

Reference:
http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/bwctl/

Setup infomation:
1. compile and loading module
http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/bwctl/
http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/dm-ioband/manual/setup.html
2. setup dmioband
# echo "0 $(blockdev --getsize /dev/sdb7) ioband /dev/sdb7 1 0 0 none" "weight 0 :40" | dmsetup create ioband1
# echo "0 $(blockdev --getsize /dev/sdb8) ioband /dev/sdb8 1 0 0 none" "weight 0 :10" | dmsetup create ioband2
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/ioband1
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/ioband2
# mount /dev/mapper/ioband1 /mnt1
# mount /dev/mapper/ioband2 /mnt2

Test Items
- load/unload module : OK
- dmsetup targets show ioband: OK
- Performance test results (fio)
Summary of results
throughput [KiB/s] % of throughput of
device weight(%) read write total ioband1 + ioband2
ioband1 40(80%) 328 335 663 79.59%
ioband2 10(20%) 87 83 170 20.41%

- I/O load (dd):
I used some I/O load with dd command.
I confirmed that the filesystem didn't break down.
The files written by dd were also sane.

Best Regards,

Akio Takebe

Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Ryo Tsuruta

Hi,

Takabe-san, thank you for testing dm-ioband, and I'm glad to hear that
it worked on your computer.

Agk, as the result shows, dm-ioband is stable and works well. I hope
it gets merged into upstream, but does dm-ioband need to be tested or
to be reviewed by someone else?

BTW, I've posted some dm-ioband patches, but the current dm quilt tree
doesn't reflect them. Is there any problem with my way of posting?

Thanks,
Ryo Tsuruta