Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Konrad Rzeszutek

Default multipathd: sdc: readsector0 checker reports path is down

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:31:38AM -0800, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> I'm still getting the hang of iSCSI and multipath, so bear with me if
> this is a FAQ that I've missed...
>
> I have a host attaching to an MD3000i via iSCSI/dm-multipath that is
> working but showing a lot of the following errors in syslog:
>
> multipathd: sdc: readsector0 checker reports path is down

You are using the wrong path checker, wrong path priority program,
and no hardware path checker :-(

Here is what you need in your multipath.conf file:

#
# DELL 3000i :: Active-Passive RDAC
# Note: The same as the IBM DS3300
#
device {
vendor "DELL"
product "MD3000i"
product_blacklist "Universal Xport"
features "1 queue_if_no_path"
path_grouping_policy group_by_prio
hardware_handler "1 rdac"
path_checker rdac
prio "rdac"
failback immediate
}

Thought you might need to replace the 'prio "rdac"' with
'prio_callout "/sbin/mpath_prio_rdac" as I think RHEL5/CentOS5 uses
the old calling convention.

This should get rid of your down errors and show your passive/active path
properly.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:56:43AM -0800, Konrad Rzeszutek wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:31:38AM -0800, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > I'm still getting the hang of iSCSI and multipath, so bear with me if
> > this is a FAQ that I've missed...
> >
> > I have a host attaching to an MD3000i via iSCSI/dm-multipath that is
> > working but showing a lot of the following errors in syslog:
> >
> > multipathd: sdc: readsector0 checker reports path is down
>
> You are using the wrong path checker, wrong path priority program,
> and no hardware path checker :-(
>
> Here is what you need in your multipath.conf file:
>
> #
> # DELL 3000i :: Active-Passive RDAC
> # Note: The same as the IBM DS3300
> #
> device {
> vendor "DELL"
> product "MD3000i"
> product_blacklist "Universal Xport"
> features "1 queue_if_no_path"
> path_grouping_policy group_by_prio
> hardware_handler "1 rdac"
> path_checker rdac
> prio "rdac"
> failback immediate
> }
>

> Thought you might need to replace the 'prio "rdac"' with
> 'prio_callout "/sbin/mpath_prio_rdac" as I think RHEL5/CentOS5 uses
> the old calling convention.
>
> This should get rid of your down errors and show your passive/active path
> properly.

Thanks. I had to remove the features line -- got an Unrecognised
feature request error otherwise.

Thanks again,
Ray