Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 PM
"Paul Cote"

Default multi-path devices only created in /dev/mapper

Hi

*

I just recently upgraded a RH server to update 5 and
recently noticed that multi-path devices are no longer being created in the
/dev/mpath … but just in /dev/mapper.

Has /dev/mpath been deprecated in update 5? … or is
there something else going on?

*

Thanks,

Paul

Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Benjamin Marzinski

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 02:37:43PM -0500, Paul Cote wrote:

> Hi
>

> I just recently upgraded a RH server to update 5 and recently noticed that
> multi-path devices are no longer being created in the /dev/mpath ... but
> just in /dev/mapper.
>
> Has /dev/mpath been deprecated in update 5? ... or is there something else
> going on?

They should be created in /dev/mpath. This is done by udev. Is udev
otherwise working properly. If you partition the underlying device, do
dm devices get created for the partitions by kpartx?

Also, since the /dev/mapper device nodes exist as soon as the
device is created, and the /dev/mpath symlinks don't get created until
udev gets around to it, you are usually better off simply using the
/dev/mapper names anyways.

-Ben