Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Dane Miller

Default dm errors 'no longer valid device'

Hi,

I've recently started getting device mapper errors that I don't
understand while creating a LVM snapshot. I think I blew my chance at
asking the linux-lvm list (list archives show my blunder), but this also
seems like a device mapper issue. Apologies in advance if this is the
wrong list for such a question... I'm not really sure whom to ask.

Here are the errors. Anyone know what's going on?

lvcreate --snapshot --name vm1optsnap --size 10G /dev/vg0/vm1opt
/dev/dm-9: stat failed: No such file or directory
Path /dev/dm-9 no longer valid for device(253,9)
Aborting - please provide new pathname for what used to be /dev/dm-9
/dev/dm-10: stat failed: No such file or directory
Path /dev/dm-10 no longer valid for device(253,10)
Aborting - please provide new pathname for what used to be /dev/dm-10
/dev/dm-11: stat failed: No such file or directory
Path /dev/dm-11 no longer valid for device(253,11)
Aborting - please provide new pathname for what used to be /dev/dm-11
Logical volume "vm1optsnap" created

Kernel: 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
LVM2: lvm2-2.02.21-5.el4
Device-mapper: device-mapper-1.02.17-3.0.1.el4

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers,
Dane

--
Dane Miller