Old 09-12-2008, 05:18 PM
"rohit vashist"

Default Regarding dm-linear.c

Hi,

I am currently working on device mapper and logical volume manager.My question is whether dm-linear.c 's
function linear_ctr and linear_map is called or not when we do lvcreate.(or vgcreate,pvcreate).I am concentrating

on linear mapping only.I did strace but i m not able to figure it out.

Thank You
Rohit

Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Adam Hamsik

Hi,
I am currently working on device mapper and logical volume
manager.My question is whether dm-linear.c 's
function linear_ctr and linear_map is called or not when we do
lvcreate.(or vgcreate,pvcreate).I am concentrating

on linear mapping only.I did strace but i m not able to figure it out.

pvcreate and vgcreate are completely independent from device-mapper
driver. Only lvcreate and other lv

commands communicates with dm driver.

I'm not linux expert , but I think that during lvcreate only
linear_ctr function is called. Because it allocates "linear context"
for loaded table. Context is probably some target specific
configuration memory

area.

linear_map is probably called only during IO. When is IO issued on
virtual device mapped to a real

block device.

Regards

Adam.