Old 09-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Kiyoshi Ueda

Default dm-mpath: dynamic load balancers

Hi,

The following patches add the following 2 dynamic load balancers
to request-based dm-multipath:
o queue-length oriented dynamic load balancer, dm-queue-length.
o service-time oriented dynamic load balancer, dm-service-time.

This patch-set is not ready for inclusion to the upstream kernel,
but I'm posting now to hear comments from multipath related people.
Any comments are welcome.

This patch-set can be applied on top of 2.6.27-rc6 + Alasdair's
linux-next patches below + request-based dm patches(*).
dm-mpath-use-more-error-codes.patch
dm-mpath-remove-is_active-from-struct-dm_path.patch

(*) http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/12/100

Summary of the patch-set:
1/4: dm-mpath: add a path-selector interface
2/4: dm-mpath: add queue-length oriented dynamic load balancer (dlb)
3/4: dm-mpath: interface change for service-time oriented dlb
4/4: dm-mpath: add service-time oriented dynamic load balancer (dlb)

Thanks,
Kiyoshi Ueda

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Alasdair G Kergon

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:50:38AM -0400, Kiyoshi Ueda wrote:
> The following patches add the following 2 dynamic load balancers
> to request-based dm-multipath:
> o queue-length oriented dynamic load balancer, dm-queue-length.
> o service-time oriented dynamic load balancer, dm-service-time.

Could we have separate Kconfig options to select them?

Alasdair
--
agk@redhat.com

Old 01-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Kiyoshi Ueda

Hi Alasdair,

On 01/29/2009 12:37 AM +0900, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:50:38AM -0400, Kiyoshi Ueda wrote:
>> The following patches add the following 2 dynamic load balancers
>> to request-based dm-multipath:
>> o queue-length oriented dynamic load balancer, dm-queue-length.
>> o service-time oriented dynamic load balancer, dm-service-time.
>
> Could we have separate Kconfig options to select them?

Sure.
I posted the new one rebased on top of 2.6.29-rc2:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2009-January/msg00183.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2009-January/msg00186.html

Thanks,
Kiyoshi Ueda

Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Mike Christie

Kiyoshi Ueda wrote:

Hi Alasdair,

The following patches add the following 2 dynamic load balancers
to request-based dm-multipath:
o queue-length oriented dynamic load balancer, dm-queue-length.
o service-time oriented dynamic load balancer, dm-service-time.

Could we have separate Kconfig options to select them?

Sure.
I posted the new one rebased on top of 2.6.29-rc2:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2009-January/msg00183.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2009-January/msg00186.html

For the Kconfig help, is there something we could add to help people
know when to choose one or the other? Sort of like how the block layer
io scheduler (block/Kconfig.iosched) says one might be helpful for
desktops and one is useful for data bses?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Kiyoshi Ueda

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the comment.

On 01/30/2009 03:12 AM +0900, Mike Christie wrote:
> Kiyoshi Ueda wrote:
>> Hi Alasdair,

>>> Could we have separate Kconfig options to select them?
>>
>> Sure.
>> I posted the new one rebased on top of 2.6.29-rc2:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2009-January/msg00183.html
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2009-January/msg00186.html
>>

> For the Kconfig help, is there something we could add to help people
> know when to choose one or the other? Sort of like how the block layer
> io scheduler (block/Kconfig.iosched) says one might be helpful for
> desktops and one is useful for data bses?

That's a good idea, but I don't have much information about that now.
To make such guide-line, we probably need lots of feedbacks from users.
(e.g. That may also depend on HW, not only work-load.)
So that is TODO in the future, I think.

Thanks,
Kiyoshi Ueda