Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Domenico Viggiani

Default Status of resizing/growing dm-multipath devices on the fly

* Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> Is it possible to resize (grow) dm-multipath devices on the
> fly nowadays?
>
> I googled and found some discussions about the subject, but
> the conclusion seemed to be it's not possible.. that was a
> while ago, so I was wondering if this has been fixed/implemented..
>
> Using LVM and adding another new LUN/PV is not an option
> always.. it's a lot easier to manage the whole thing if it's
> possible to resize/grow existing LUNs on the fly.

Nowadays all disk-arrays make online LUN extension a breeze but
unfortunately it seems that dm-multipath is still not able to see new size
without downtime:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2007-August/msg00205.html
Look also at this recent thread on RHEL5 mailing-list where you can find
also a post from a Red Hat representative:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2008-July/msg00267.html

Sure, you can just add a new LUN, pvcreate and vgextend but it is not a
viable solution because it causes LUN proliferation.

Sincerely, I'm still subscribed to this mailing-list only to see if someone
solve this SHAME!
It's a feature that Linux really needs.

Hope someone pick this cry of pain!

--
Domenico Viggiani

Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 03:48:12PM +0200, Domenico Viggiani wrote:
> * Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to resize (grow) dm-multipath devices on the
> > fly nowadays?
> >
> > I googled and found some discussions about the subject, but
> > the conclusion seemed to be it's not possible.. that was a
> > while ago, so I was wondering if this has been fixed/implemented..
> >
> > Using LVM and adding another new LUN/PV is not an option
> > always.. it's a lot easier to manage the whole thing if it's
> > possible to resize/grow existing LUNs on the fly.
>
> Nowadays all disk-arrays make online LUN extension a breeze but
> unfortunately it seems that dm-multipath is still not able to see new size
> without downtime:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2007-August/msg00205.html
> Look also at this recent thread on RHEL5 mailing-list where you can find
> also a post from a Red Hat representative:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2008-July/msg00267.html
>
> Sure, you can just add a new LUN, pvcreate and vgextend but it is not a
> viable solution because it causes LUN proliferation.
>
> Sincerely, I'm still subscribed to this mailing-list only to see if someone
> solve this SHAME!
> It's a feature that Linux really needs.
>
> Hope someone pick this cry of pain!

Thanks for the reply.

Does someone know what's the actual problem in this? meaning why it hasn't
been done yet..

-- Pasi

Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Domenico Viggiani

* Sharif Nassar wrote:

> We seem to have a working method for resizing multipath luns
> from our NetApp filers. It works on CentOS 4 & 5, for us,
> and our NetApps.
> (2 HBA, times 2 paths on each makes for four SCSI LUN to resize)
>
> The poorly formatted, unpolished, YMMV, no warranty recipe is:

> Pfew! Done!

Incredible! I will study this later, thanks.
Any idea if this could work with an EMC Clariion CX 700 array?

Bye
--
Domenico Viggiani