Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

Default Status of resizing/growing dm-multipath devices on the fly

Hello!

Is it possible to resize (grow) dm-multipath devices on the fly nowadays?

I googled and found some discussions about the subject, but the conclusion
seemed to be it's not possible.. that was a while ago, so I was wondering if
this has been fixed/implemented..

Using LVM and adding another new LUN/PV is not an option always.. it's a lot
easier to manage the whole thing if it's possible to resize/grow existing
LUNs on the fly.

Thanks!

-- Pasi

Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 02:46:57PM -0700, Sharif Nassar wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >Is it possible to resize (grow) dm-multipath devices on the fly nowadays?
> >
> >I googled and found some discussions about the subject, but the conclusion
> >seemed to be it's not possible.. that was a while ago, so I was wondering
> >if
> >this has been fixed/implemented..
> >
> >Using LVM and adding another new LUN/PV is not an option always.. it's a
> >lot
> >easier to manage the whole thing if it's possible to resize/grow existing
> >LUNs on the fly.
>

> Sure it is, but it's not pretty. Don't believe the naysayers.
> We seem to have a working method for resizing multipath luns from our
> NetApp filers. It works on CentOS 4 & 5, for us, and our NetApps.
> (2 HBA, times 2 paths on each makes for four SCSI LUN to resize)
>
> The poorly formatted, unpolished, YMMV, no warranty recipe is:

Thanks a lot!

Better to have a workaround than nothing

-- Pasi

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 02:58:16PM -0600, Andrew Patterson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:36 -0700, Mike Anderson wrote:
> > Pasi K?rkk?inen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:

> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > >
> > > Does someone know what's the actual problem in this? meaning why it hasn't
> > > been done yet..
> >
> > It has to do with the block layer not using the new size value while there
> > are openers.
> >
> > Andrew submitted a patch series (url below) a while ago to try and address
> > this issue, but I do not know the status. I added Andrew to the cc.
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.scsi/41623
> >

> The above patchset works with SCSI devices. I have tested it with single
> SCSI devices under dm/LVM, i.e., a PV is on a single SCSI LUN with only
> one path to it. It has not yet been accepted upstream due to not getting
> sign-off from Al Viro. I plan on resubmitting soon to add cciss support.
> Hopefully Al will getting around to reviewing it sometime this century.
> I have heard rumors that Al has some all-encompassing solution for this
> problem but hasn't got around to implementing it. I'll test my new
> patches with multi-path while I am at it.

Was there some problems/issues with the patchset? Or just lack of time from
Al..

-- Pasi

Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 01:36:19PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 02:58:16PM -0600, Andrew Patterson wrote:

> > > It has to do with the block layer not using the new size value while there
> > > are openers.
> > >
> > > Andrew submitted a patch series (url below) a while ago to try and address
> > > this issue, but I do not know the status. I added Andrew to the cc.
> > >
> > > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.scsi/41623
> > >

> > The above patchset works with SCSI devices. I have tested it with single
> > SCSI devices under dm/LVM, i.e., a PV is on a single SCSI LUN with only
> > one path to it. It has not yet been accepted upstream due to not getting
> > sign-off from Al Viro. I plan on resubmitting soon to add cciss support.
> > Hopefully Al will getting around to reviewing it sometime this century.
> > I have heard rumors that Al has some all-encompassing solution for this
> > problem but hasn't got around to implementing it. I'll test my new
> > patches with multi-path while I am at it.
> >

> Was there some problems/issues with the patchset? Or just lack of time from
> Al..

I noticed these patches were accepted for 2.6.28:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/967628

Now how about online resizing dm-multipath devices.. ? We want that aswell!

-- Pasi