Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Wilhelm Meier

Default /dev/dm-? and /dev/mapper/

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask ...

I use kernel 2.6.22 and debian etch.

If I create a vg and some volumes in it I get the

/dev/dm-?

and

/dev/mapper/<vg>-<lv>

devices nodes.

If I try to mount the filesystem via label, sometimes /dev/dm-? and
sometimes /dev/mapper/<vg>-<lv> gets mounted.

That is the cause of some later errors in my setup.

The question is: how can I get rid of the dm-? (e.g. they should not
be created at all) oder how do I the mount to stick to
the /dev/mapper/... files?

TIA,
--
Wilhelm

Old 07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
"Romanowski, John (OFT)"

device-mapper creates the /dev/dm-? names, I doubt you could get rid of
them.
LVM names are persistent, maybe instead of mount-by-label you could
change to mount the persistent /dev/VGname/LVname's

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:07 AM
"Xinwei Hu"

Hi Wilhelm,
Mount-by-label uses the links inside /dev/disk/by-lable/, which are
created by udev.
It seems to be a problem that udev races with device-mapper on debian.