Old 07-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Sajesh Singh

Default Pathvec messages

Whenever I run the multipath -v3 command on a EL 5 server I see the
following line in the output for each device.

sdc: not found in pathvec

I have seen questions on this before, but no answer as to what this
means. Is the message merely information or does the multipath
configuration need to be changed?

Regards,

Sajesh

Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Benjamin Marzinski

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:51:42PM -0400, Sajesh Singh wrote:
> Whenever I run the multipath -v3 command on a EL 5 server I see the
> following line in the output for each device.
>
> sdc: not found in pathvec

This simply means that the device is not already stored in multipath's
in memory list of discovered paths. It's completely normal to see this
for your all your devices when running the multipath command.

-Ben

Old 07-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Sajesh Singh

Sajesh Singh
Senior Systems Administrator
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024

(O) (212) 313-7263
(C) (917) 577-9195
(E) ssingh@amnh.org

Benjamin Marzinski wrote:

Whenever I run the multipath -v3 command on a EL 5 server I see the
following line in the output for each device.

sdc: not found in pathvec

This simply means that the device is not already stored in multipath's
in memory list of discovered paths. It's completely normal to see this
for your all your devices when running the multipath command.

-Ben

That being said, when does the device make it into the memory list of
discovered paths ?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Benjamin Marzinski

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:34:47PM -0400, Sajesh Singh wrote:
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Sajesh Singh
> Senior Systems Administrator
> American Museum of Natural History
> Central Park West at 79th Street
> New York, NY 10024
>
> (O) (212) 313-7263
> (C) (917) 577-9195
> (E) [1]ssingh@amnh.org
>
> Benjamin Marzinski wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:51:42PM -0400, Sajesh Singh wrote:
>

> Whenever I run the multipath -v3 command on a EL 5 server I see the
> following line in the output for each device.
>
> sdc: not found in pathvec
>

> This simply means that the device is not already stored in multipath's
> in memory list of discovered paths. It's completely normal to see this
> for your all your devices when running the multipath command.
>
> -Ben
>

> That being said, when does the device make it into the memory list of
> discovered paths ?

Immediately after multipath realizes that it's not there. In
multipathd, which uses the same code, you will see this when multipath
first spots a new device. After that, the device will be list of
discovered paths.

-Ben

Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Sajesh Singh

Benjamin Marzinski wrote:

Whenever I run the multipath -v3 command on a EL 5 server I see the
following line in the output for each device.

sdc: not found in pathvec

This simply means that the device is not already stored in multipath's
in memory list of discovered paths. It's completely normal to see this
for your all your devices when running the multipath command.

-Ben

That being said, when does the device make it into the memory list of
discovered paths ?

Immediately after multipath realizes that it's not there. In
multipathd, which uses the same code, you will see this when multipath
first spots a new device. After that, the device will be list of
discovered paths.

-Ben

So running multipath -v3 multiple times and seeing the output of "not
found in pathvec" is merely informational?

1. mailto:dm-devel@redhat.com

Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Benjamin Marzinski

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 03:43:32PM -0400, Sajesh Singh wrote:
> Benjamin Marzinski wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:34:47PM -0400, Sajesh Singh wrote:
>

> Benjamin Marzinski wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:51:42PM -0400, Sajesh Singh wrote:
>

> Whenever I run the multipath -v3 command on a EL 5 server I see the
> following line in the output for each device.
>
> sdc: not found in pathvec
>

> This simply means that the device is not already stored in multipath's
> in memory list of discovered paths. It's completely normal to see this
> for your all your devices when running the multipath command.
>
> -Ben
>

> That being said, when does the device make it into the memory list of
> discovered paths ?
>

> Immediately after multipath realizes that it's not there. In
> multipathd, which uses the same code, you will see this when multipath
> first spots a new device. After that, the device will be list of
> discovered paths.
>
> -Ben
>

> So running multipath -v3 multiple times and seeing the output of "not
> found in pathvec" is merely informational?

Correct.

-Ben