Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Tore Anderson

Default multipathd sometimes not reinstating paths

Hello,

I've on several occasions seen that multipathd fails to reinstate paths
that has recovered. Yesterday I had a controller meltdown on an array,
and several hosts ended up stuck in a all-paths-down state, which a
simple restart of multipathd fixed. It's as if multipathd at some
point stopped to check dead paths for revival. The hosts were running
0.4.7 and 0.4.5 (RHEL4/5 and Debian 4.0).

Since getting things back on line was the priority I didn't get around
to debugging it, unfortunately. I've seen this before many times,
though, so I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this and know what
causes it? Is there any known workarounds or ways to avoid it?

Any suggestions on how to debug it if I see it happen again?

Tore Anderson

Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
"Daniel Keisling"

I have tested failing paths by removing SAN controllers from the
specific zone in my switch config.

I've on several occasions seen that multipathd fails to reinstate paths
that has recovered. Yesterday I had a controller meltdown on an array,
and several hosts ended up stuck in a all-paths-down state, which a
simple restart of multipathd fixed. It's as if multipathd at some
point stopped to check dead paths for revival. The hosts were running
0.4.7 and 0.4.5 (RHEL4/5 and Debian 4.0).

Since getting things back on line was the priority I didn't get around
to debugging it, unfortunately. I've seen this before many times,
though, so I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this and know what
causes it? Is there any known workarounds or ways to avoid it?

Any suggestions on how to debug it if I see it happen again?

Tore Anderson

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.