Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Eduard Nicodei

Default logical volumes not being detected

Hello, this is my first posting here and I'm sorry if this has already been
discused. All I want to know is what other modules/libraries other than the
device-mapper kernel module, lvm2 and the devmapper library do I need in
order to have my logical volumes detected.
here's my setup: one 160GB sata2 hdd; one 320GB sata2 hdd; a minimal
version of ubuntu (installed from debootstrap) and a custom compiled kernel
version 2.6.26 (I should mention that the kernel doesn't contain all of the
modules - I wanted it to provide only the features I need). I have created a
physical volume, volume group and logical volume from another ubuntu
installation. It is detected while using the live cd, and also if I
boot the minimal ubuntu with another kernel that has a full set of
features.

regards, Eduard

Old 07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
"Romanowski, John (OFT)"

Hi,
I'm not familiar with ubuntu. In SLES one has to enable the boot.lvm script which runs vgscan and vgchange to detect and enable the PV's, VG's and their LV's.

Try manually running vgscan and then vgchange -a y
and see if that helps.
good luck.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Eduard Nicodei

On Monday 28 July 2008 18:57:22 Romanowski, John (OFT) wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not familiar with ubuntu. In SLES one has to enable the boot.lvm script
> which runs vgscan and vgchange to detect and enable the PV's, VG's and
> their LV's.
>
> Try manually running vgscan and then vgchange -a y
> and see if that helps.
> good luck.

> This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
> otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
> received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to
> send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or
> its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and
> delete the e-mail from your system.

sorry, neither vgscan nor vgchange -a -y didn't work. However, after twinking
my kernel I found the problem: I had to select the "Create deprecated sysfs
files" and the "Kernel->user space relay support (formerly relayfs)" kernel
configuration options, (both from "General setup");
now I'm not a dm-developer so this is just a suggestion: does device-mapper
use deprecated sysfs files? If so, it should be upgraded, or at least a
warning be posted somewhere that dm needs those files.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Eduard Nicodei