Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Martin Sourada

Default preferences-system-firewall sketches

I've prepared two different designs for preferences-system-firewall.
Basically both implement the idea of firewall being some sort of
security wall - therefore I used brick wall and lock. In first design
the lock is supposed to be drawn on the wall, in the second design, it
is an object on it's own. In both images I used some gimp tricks in
order to look more smooth on LCDs for the PNGs.

Comments, suggestions, etc. welcome.

Martin

Ugh... I just noticed I reinvented the wheel - the lock, though in a
different style, is already present in the icon theme:
emblem-readonly :-D

Old 07-09-2008, 03:10 AM
"Luya Tshimbalanga"

I've prepared two different designs for preferences-system-firewall.

Basically both implement the idea of firewall being some sort of

security wall - therefore I used brick wall and lock. In first design

the lock is supposed to be drawn on the wall, in the second design, it

is an object on it's own. In both images I used some gimp tricks in

order to look more smooth on LCDs for the PNGs.

The lock is barely visible given the dominance of the bright brick color. How about placing Internet icon behind the wall? It might looks like *cough* Microsoft Windows Defender but other Firewall icons are not that great IMHO.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project Contributor

Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Nicu Buculei

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

I've prepared two different designs for preferences-system-firewall.
Basically both implement the idea of firewall being some sort of
security wall - therefore I used brick wall and lock. In first design
the lock is supposed to be drawn on the wall, in the second design, it
is an object on it's own. In both images I used some gimp tricks in
order to look more smooth on LCDs for the PNGs.

The lock is barely visible given the dominance of the bright brick
color. How about placing Internet icon behind the wall? It might looks
like *cough* Microsoft Windows Defender but other Firewall icons are not
that great IMHO.

And from the two, the "a" version (painted lock) is the least readable.

Anyway, it seems a wall made from red bricks and *something* is the most
common used metaphor for such icon, so we should stay with it, at it
will be easily recognized by users.

Maybe to not copy the icon from Windows, protect a *computer* with the wall?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Martin Sourada

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 20:10 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

> The lock is barely visible given the dominance of the bright brick
> color. How about placing Internet icon behind the wall? It might looks
> like *cough* Microsoft Windows Defender but other Firewall icons are
> not that great IMHO.

Hm... I'll try the one with Globe, though I am not sure if it would
work. Also, looking at the MS Win Defender icon, I'll perhaps try stone
wall... And with the red one + lock - I'll perhaps try darker red for
bricks and bigger lock. Is it really that bad visible in 48x48 - I see
it quite well? In smaller sizes the lock will be bigger, compared to the
size of the wall, in order to improve readability.

Martin

Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

Hm... I'll try the one with Globe, though I am not sure if it would
work. Also, looking at the MS Win Defender icon, I'll perhaps try stone
wall... And with the red one + lock - I'll perhaps try darker red for
bricks and bigger lock. Is it really that bad visible in 48x48 - I see
it quite well? In smaller sizes the lock will be bigger, compared to the
size of the wall, in order to improve readability.

For me it wasn't about the size but about the contrast: dark red lock
painted on a red wall.

A stone wall (grey?) will probably improve this.

BTW, do you think is good to use GIMP tricks to improve display? This
way the binary (PNG) can't be built directly from source and would make
the life harder for derivatives.

Wed Jul 9 11:30:02 2008