Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Luke S Crawford

Default "Snapshots and mirrors may not yet be mixed."

So, I have been using the lvm mirror target on CentOS 5.1
(2.6.18-53.1.21.el5xen) for some time now; it works great for most things,
and gives me much more flexibility than putting my PVs on md devices.

The other day I tried to create a snapshot:

lvcreate -s -L 100M -d hydra_domU/test -n test_snap

it returned:

Snapshots and mirrors may not yet be mixed.

is the mirror target still under active development? or is it a problem
with my setup?

thanks.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Mikulas Patocka

So, I have been using the lvm mirror target on CentOS 5.1
(2.6.18-53.1.21.el5xen) for some time now; it works great for most things,
and gives me much more flexibility than putting my PVs on md devices.

The other day I tried to create a snapshot:

lvcreate -s -L 100M -d hydra_domU/test -n test_snap

it returned:

Snapshots and mirrors may not yet be mixed.

is the mirror target still under active development? or is it a problem
with my setup?

thanks.

There is a bug that "lvconvert -s" can create snapshot of a mirror ... and
to my surprise, once it was created this way, it worked.

So maybe we could remove this restriction at all. There was some concern
that dmeventd may misbehave in this situation. lvm commands seem to handle
snapshots of a mirror fine.

Mikulas

Old 06-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Luke S Crawford

Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@redhat.com> writes:
> There is a bug that "lvconvert -s" can create snapshot of a mirror
> ... and to my surprise, once it was created this way, it worked.
>
> So maybe we could remove this restriction at all. There was some
> concern that dmeventd may misbehave in this situation. lvm commands
> seem to handle snapshots of a mirror fine.

Yes, lvconvert seems to make proper snapshots from my (corelog) mirrors.
I've been playing with them for a few days now and no problems yet.