Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Brad Rogers

Default Problems with Gnome appearance.

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:12:14 -0400
Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

Hello Frank,

> Typical is right - half the signed messages I get can't be verified.

For me, that's a rare occurrence. Hence my calling attention to your
posts. As some would say; "Go figure"....

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

You're a sidewalk cipher speaking prionic jive
Give You Nothing - Bad Religion

Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 03:56:00PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:12:14 -0400
> Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> Hello Frank,
>
> > Typical is right - half the signed messages I get can't be verified.
>
> For me, that's a rare occurrence. Hence my calling attention to your
> posts. As some would say; "Go figure"....

What keyserver are you using Brad? I typically use mit, but the lag
times have been *really* long. I've been ctrl-c'ing Frank's key for
days because it takes too long. I finally just now waited it
out... about 45 seconds (okay, I guess I'm just impatient, but
still...) and got it.

Anyway, it seems the mit keyservers are getting pretty laggy these
days.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 20:17:54 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

Hello Andrew,

> What keyserver are you using Brad? I typically use mit, but the lag

hkp://subkeys.pgp.net

> days because it takes too long. I finally just now waited it
> out... about 45 seconds (okay, I guess I'm just impatient, but
> still...) and got it.

I'd tried several times, well, Claws-Mail/GPG did. They're set up here
to grab keys that aren't available locally. The apparent
non-availability of Frank's key meant that CM became unusable during
the search period which was anything up to 60 seconds. As this
occurred several times, I assumed Frank hadn't uploaded his key, hence
my "complaint".

Was it merely coincidence that Frank's key immediately became available
to me after that message? Only the servers know. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Dream on white boy, dream on black girl
Original Sin - INXS

Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Frank McCormick

Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Brad Rogers

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 07:29:16 -0400
Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:

Hello Frank,

> No, Frank also knows, That key was uploaded months ago.

Yes, of course you do. My comment was not meant to reflect on you in
any way.

It's just typical that things updated at about the time of my problem
getting hold of your key. We'll probably never know what the issue was.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain
Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns 'N' Roses

Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:25:35AM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 20:17:54 -0700
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Andrew,
>
> > What keyserver are you using Brad? I typically use mit, but the lag
>
> hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
>
> > days because it takes too long. I finally just now waited it
> > out... about 45 seconds (okay, I guess I'm just impatient, but
> > still...) and got it.
>
> I'd tried several times, well, Claws-Mail/GPG did. They're set up here
> to grab keys that aren't available locally. The apparent
> non-availability of Frank's key meant that CM became unusable during
> the search period which was anything up to 60 seconds. As this
> occurred several times, I assumed Frank hadn't uploaded his key, hence
> my "complaint".

I use mutt, and it invokes gpg which tries to grab keys it doesn't
already have with the same symptom... up to about 60 seconds of
waiting. What I don't know is what's happening during that wait. Is it
a matter of gpg not being able to contact the servers or do the
servers take that long to run the query. It seems to run in waves
too. There'll be a days where everything is fine and even looking up
new keys takes only a few seconds and then other days every new key
will time out. I get a little to quick on the ctrl-c sometimes as a
result...

Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Brad Rogers

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 10:20:54 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

Hello Andrew,

> waiting. What I don't know is what's happening during that wait. Is it
> a matter of gpg not being able to contact the servers or do the
> servers take that long to run the query. It seems to run in waves

Before I had an always on connection, I used to poll the servers
manually to collect keys. It often took that long for the servers to
respond. A lot depends on how the query is performed. For example, a
search for a particular key ID is usually quicker than a search for a
person's name. Even so, a key ID search can /still/ take forever (or
so it seems at the time) to complete.

> will time out. I get a little to quick on the ctrl-c sometimes as a
> result...

Since CM (or Mutt in your case) is unusable during the search, I'm not
surprised you hit Ctrl-C.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Why do they try to hide our past pulling down houses and build car parks
Bricks & Mortar - The Jam

Old 06-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:20:54AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> was heard to say:
> I use mutt, and it invokes gpg which tries to grab keys it doesn't
> already have with the same symptom... up to about 60 seconds of
> waiting. What I don't know is what's happening during that wait. Is it
> a matter of gpg not being able to contact the servers or do the
> servers take that long to run the query. It seems to run in waves
> too. There'll be a days where everything is fine and even looking up
> new keys takes only a few seconds and then other days every new key
> will time out. I get a little to quick on the ctrl-c sometimes as a
> result...

If it's taking 60 seconds in this pause, you could always try
attaching strace to it and seeing what's up. (or just modify the gpg
command in .muttrc to run it under strace)

Daniel