Old 06-03-2008, 04:14 AM
Jeff Grossman

Default Aptitude Install Error

Today I did a pretty bonehead move. I was trying to do a chown on a
directory in /var and I ended up chowning the whole /var/ directory to
www-data. Of course, right when I hit the enter key I knew I screwed
up. I went and did a chown to root for /var assuming that was the best
bet. Throughout the day reading the log messages and errors, I think I
have fixed almost everything back to the way it should be or at least to
what appears to be working. But, I just did an aptitude safe-upgrade
(this is on a Lenny system) and got an fopen error. Does this have
anything to do with my /var messup? I looked through the 6 packages
that got upgraded and it does not appear they write anything to the /var
directory. Here is what I got from running the aptitude command:

root@apple ~ # aptitude safe-upgrade -DV
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
cpp-4.2 [4.2.3-5 -> 4.2.4-1] dictionaries-common [0.98.6 -> 0.98.9]
g++-4.2 [4.2.3-5 -> 4.2.4-1] gcc-4.2 [4.2.3-5 -> 4.2.4-1]
gcc-4.2-base [4.2.3-5 -> 4.2.4-1]
libstdc++6-4.2-dev [4.2.3-5 -> 4.2.4-1]
6 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7766kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main libstdc++6-4.2-dev 4.2.4-1
[1244kB]

Get:2 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main g++-4.2 4.2.4-1 [3030kB]
Get:3 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main gcc-4.2 4.2.4-1 [426kB]
Get:4 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main cpp-4.2 4.2.4-1 [2695kB]
Get:5 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main gcc-4.2-base 4.2.4-1 [98.1kB]
Get:6 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main dictionaries-common 0.98.9
[273kB]

Fetched 7766kB in 49s (158kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 51238 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libstdc++6-4.2-dev 4.2.3-5 (using
.../libstdc++6-4.2-dev_4.2.4-1_amd64.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement libstdc++6-4.2-dev ...
Preparing to replace g++-4.2 4.2.3-5 (using
.../g++-4.2_4.2.4-1_amd64.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement g++-4.2 ...
Preparing to replace gcc-4.2 4.2.3-5 (using
.../gcc-4.2_4.2.4-1_amd64.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement gcc-4.2 ...
Preparing to replace cpp-4.2 4.2.3-5 (using
.../cpp-4.2_4.2.4-1_amd64.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement cpp-4.2 ...
Preparing to replace gcc-4.2-base 4.2.3-5 (using
.../gcc-4.2-base_4.2.4-1_amd64.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement gcc-4.2-base ...
Preparing to replace dictionaries-common 0.98.6 (using
.../dictionaries-common_0.98.9_all.deb) ...
Leaving `diversion of /usr/share/dict/words to
/usr/share/dict/words.pre-dictionaries-common by dictionaries-common'

Unpacking replacement dictionaries-common ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
fopen: Permission denied
Setting up gcc-4.2-base (4.2.4-1) ...
Setting up cpp-4.2 (4.2.4-1) ...
Setting up gcc-4.2 (4.2.4-1) ...
Setting up dictionaries-common (0.98.9) ...
Installing new version of config file
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el ...

Updating OpenOffice.org's dictionary list... done.
Setting up libstdc++6-4.2-dev (4.2.4-1) ...
Setting up g++-4.2 (4.2.4-1) ...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done

Current status: 0 updates [-6].

Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, is there anyway for me to see what all of the
permissions on /var should be?

Jeff

Old 06-03-2008, 04:51 AM
James Richardson

Jeff Grossman wrote:
> Today I did a pretty bonehead move. I was trying to do a chown on
> a directory in /var and I ended up chowning the whole /var/
> directory to www-data. Of course, right when I hit the enter key
> I knew I screwed up. I went and did a chown to root for /var
> assuming that was the best bet. Throughout the day reading the
> log messages and errors, I think I have fixed almost everything
> back to the way it should be or at least to what appears to be
> working. But, I just did an aptitude safe-upgrade (this is on a
> Lenny system) and got an fopen error. Does this have anything to
> do with my /var messup? I looked through the 6 packages that got
> upgraded and it does not appear they write anything to the /var
> directory. Here is what I got from running the aptitude command:
>
> root@apple ~ # aptitude safe-upgrade -DV
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
[snip]
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
/var/man needs to be owned by man (# chown -R man:root /var/man

> fopen: Permission denied
[snip]

--
jr

Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Jeff Grossman

James Richardson wrote:

Jeff Grossman wrote:

[...]

I don't have a /var/man directory.

Jeff

Old 06-03-2008, 01:29 PM
James Richardson

Jeff Grossman wrote:
> James Richardson wrote:
>> Jeff Grossman wrote:
>>
>>> Today I did a pretty bonehead move. I was trying to do a
>>> chown on a directory in /var and I ended up chowning the whole
>>> /var/ directory to www-data. Of course, right when I hit the
>>> enter key I knew I screwed up. I went and did a chown to root
>>> for /var assuming that was the best bet. Throughout the day
>>> reading the log messages and errors, I think I have fixed
>>> almost everything back to the way it should be or at least to
>>> what appears to be working. But, I just did an aptitude
>>> safe-upgrade (this is on a Lenny system) and got an fopen
>>> error. Does this have anything to do with my /var messup? I
>>> looked through the 6 packages that got upgraded and it does
>>> not appear they write anything to the /var directory. Here
>>> is what I got from running the aptitude command:
>>>
>>> root@apple ~ # aptitude safe-upgrade -DV
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> Reading extended state information
>>> Initializing package states... Done
>>> Reading task descriptions... Done
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Processing triggers for man-db ...
>>>
>> /var/man needs to be owned by man (# chown -R man:root /var/man
>>

>>> fopen: Permission denied
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> On a side note, is there anyway for me to see what all of the
>>> permissions on /var should be?
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

> I don't have a /var/man directory.

I don't either. I should have written /var/cache/man. I really should have
been in bed.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:50 PM
"Jeff Grossman"

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:29:59 -0400 James Richardson <james@jamesr.biz> wrote

> Jeff Grossman wrote:
> > James Richardson wrote:

> >> [snip]

> >> /var/man needs to be owned by man (# chown -R man:root /var/man

> >> [snip]

> > I don't have a /var/man directory.
> >
> I don't either. I should have written /var/cache/man. I really should have
> been in bed.

/var/cache/man is owned by man:root. Maybe aptitude or the installation took
care of it last night when I did the upgrade. I guess I can try doing an
install on man-db again to see if I get the error again.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff