Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Micha

Default Homepage management system?

I am looking for some framework to allow easily setting up homepage for all the
people in my uni lab. The idea is to setup some template that they can fill out
as no one is getting around to it

(A home page, publications page, not much more)

Preferably I want something that can be setup in a user html directory and not
run it's own server. That is either a program to allow the easy generation
and maintenance of webpages based on templates or some content management
system that is easy to setup and can preferably be installed and run for a user
public_html directory (i.e based on php or cgi scripts and not it's own server)
as it would reduce the bureaucracy of trying to convince the university to give
us web access to one of the lab computers.

I'm afraid that I don't have the time to design and write the template myself
so I need something ready-made.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Jochen Schulz

Micha:

> I am looking for some framework to allow easily setting up homepage for all the
> people in my uni lab. The idea is to setup some template that they can fill out
> as no one is getting around to it

I don't know how tech-savvy your users are, but I found rest2web to be a
quite good and easy system. You write your pages in restructured text
and it will be published as XHTML. You might want to set up a version
control system with hooks in place so that every checking generates the
XHTML files on every commit.

J.
--
I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
immensely.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Kevin Mark

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:33:12PM +0300, Micha wrote:
> I am looking for some framework to allow easily setting up homepage for all the
> people in my uni lab. The idea is to setup some template that they can fill out
> as no one is getting around to it
>
> (A home page, publications page, not much more)
>
> Preferably I want something that can be setup in a user html directory and not
> run it's own server. That is either a program to allow the easy generation
> and maintenance of webpages based on templates or some content management
> system that is easy to setup and can preferably be installed and run for a user
> public_html directory (i.e based on php or cgi scripts and not it's own server)
> as it would reduce the bureaucracy of trying to convince the university to give
> us web access to one of the lab computers.
>
> I'm afraid that I don't have the time to design and write the template myself
> so I need something ready-made.

Would a Wiki fill this need. Once it is setup, the basic syntax is not
hard (eg. wikipedia) and would allow folks to get up some basic home
page and links to publication in an hour. And you could later add a more
professional apperance with a offical uni header with a logo etc. All
you need is a basic http server and a wiki engine which should be
relatively painless on any Linux server like Debian. You would
presumedly just ask them to install the wiki software assuming they
already had it setup with apache.
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM
phobot

On Jun 2, 10:40 pm, Micha <mi...@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> I am looking for some framework to allow easily setting up homepage for all the
> people in my uni lab. The idea is to setup some template that they can fill out
> as no one is getting around to it
>
> (A home page, publications page, not much more)
>
> Preferably I want something that can be setup in a user html directory and not
> run it's own server. That is either a program to allow the easy generation
> and maintenance of webpages based on templates or some content management
> system that is easy to setup and can preferably be installed and run for a user
> public_html directory (i.e based on php or cgi scripts and not it's own server)
> as it would reduce the bureaucracy of trying to convince the university to give
> us web access to one of the lab computers.
>
> I'm afraid that I don't have the time to design and write the template myself
> so I need something ready-made.
>
> Thanks

You can try some CMS personally I recommend Joomla. It's installation
in a public_html is less than 20 mb. The thing that may give you
trouble is the SQL requirement. Other than that it very easy to use
and set up.
P.S Joomla has a lot of ready to use templates.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:18 PM

> On Jun 2, 10:40 pm, Micha <mi...@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
>> I am looking for some framework to allow easily setting up homepage for
>> all the
>> people in my uni lab. The idea is to setup some template that they can
>> fill out
>> as no one is getting around to it
>>
>> (A home page, publications page, not much more)
>>
>> Preferably I want something that can be setup in a user html directory
>> and not
>> run it's own server. That is either a program to allow the easy
>> generation
>> and maintenance of webpages based on templates or some content
>> management
>> system that is easy to setup and can preferably be installed and run for
>> a user
>> public_html directory (i.e based on php or cgi scripts and not it's own
>> server)
>> as it would reduce the bureaucracy of trying to convince the university
>> to give
>> us web access to one of the lab computers.
>>
>> I'm afraid that I don't have the time to design and write the template
>> myself
>> so I need something ready-made.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>
> You can try some CMS personally I recommend Joomla. It's installation
> in a public_html is less than 20 mb. The thing that may give you
> trouble is the SQL requirement. Other than that it very easy to use
> and set up.
> P.S Joomla has a lot of ready to use templates.

You might also look at Drupal. The latest update is to include OPENID.
Larry