Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
"Pete Kay"

Default Problem with setting up a networking interface

Hi,
*
I am trying to setup a new linux box for xen. Here is my setup
*
Lan ( 192.168.1.1) connecting to 5 computers.* The one I am setting up the new linux has Lan IP (192.168.1.105).*
I want to set it up so that this 192.168.1.105 computer can run Xen with 2 domU.** I try to set it up so that dom0 has ip 192.168.0.100 and the rest of domUs have 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.102

*
After modifying the*interfaces file, as shown below, I am able to restart networking ( /etc/init.d/networking restart).* console does say "reconfiguring network interfaces...don."
However, I am still not able to ping a public IP address.*
*
Could someone tell me what have I done wrong?
*
*
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation

# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
******* address 192.168.0.100
******* netmask 255.255.255.0

******* network 192.168.0.0
******* broadcast 192.168.0.255
******* gateway 192.168.0.1
*
*
Thank you very much for all your help.
*
Pete

Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 06:51:00PM +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup a new linux box for xen. Here is my setup
>
> Lan ( 192.168.1.1) connecting to 5 computers. The one I am setting up the
> new linux has Lan IP (192.168.1.105).
> I want to set it up so that this 192.168.1.105 computer can run Xen with 2
> domU. I try to set it up so that dom0 has ip 192.168.0.100 and the rest of
> domUs have 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.102
>
> After modifying the interfaces file, as shown below, I am able to restart
> networking ( /etc/init.d/networking restart). console does say
> "reconfiguring network interfaces...don."
> However, I am still not able to ping a public IP address.

which "machine"?

> Could someone tell me what have I done wrong?

generally, you don't mess with xen networking withing the interfaces
file. You specify it within the conf files for the domU's, and xen
will build all the bridges you need. Ok, so yes, you could set up the
interfaces within the domU, but there's more to it than that.

Can you specify what else you have done to set up this networking?