-   -   ntp not any more supported in Debian or did I miss something? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/98961-ntp-not-any-more-supported-debian-did-i-miss-something.html)

Jean-Louis Crouzet 06-02-2008 06:37 AM

ntp not any more supported in Debian or did I miss something?

Hi all,

The subject shall tell you already a lot but lastely I had to remove ntp
from my machine. I found this unfortunate and I'm just asking here if
this is normal or if this could have been anticipated?

Thanks,
JL

Sven Joachim 06-02-2008 07:21 AM

On 2008-06-02 08:37 +0200, Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

> The subject shall tell you already a lot but lastely I had to remove
> ntp from my machine.

Could you please elaborate why you had to do that?

> I found this unfortunate and I'm just asking here
> if this is normal or if this could have been anticipated?

If you use the testing distribution, please note that ntp has been
removed from it because of a license issue╣. You should be able to
install the version from unstable▓, though.

Sven

╣ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=448408
▓ http://packages.debian.org/sid/ntp

Jean-Louis Crouzet 06-02-2008 07:41 AM

The subject shall tell you already a lot but lastely I had to remove
ntp from my machine.

Could you please elaborate why you had to do that?

I found this unfortunate and I'm just asking here
if this is normal or if this could have been anticipated?

If you use the testing distribution, please note that ntp has been
removed from it because of a license issue╣. You should be able to
install the version from unstable▓, though.

Sven

╣ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=448408
▓ http://packages.debian.org/sid/ntp

Well, I think installing openntpd solved this licensing issue. I'm using
lenny. Thanks, JL

"Stackpole, Chris" 06-04-2008 03:59 PM

ntp not any more supported in Debian or did I miss something?

I just found this information out this morning when I did a
fresh install of Lenny and couldnÔÇÖt find ntpdate. I think my heart
skipped a beat.

┬*

# If you use the testing distribution,
please note that ntp has been

# removed from it because of a license issue┬╣.┬* You should
be able to

# install the version from unstable┬▓, though.

┬*

Thanks for those links! I appreciate it.

┬*

This morning I kinda fell into a panic when I couldnÔÇÖt
find ntpd and so I did some Google searching. It seems that people are
suggesting a move to OpenNTPD. I found this link about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenNTPD.

┬*

I understand the licensing issues and all, but I really
really need to have the information provided by `ntpq ÔÇôp`. Time is very
important at my job. Does anyone know if OpenNTPD can provide this information?
I guess what I should be asking is: should I make a move to OpenNTPD or some other
NTP service? Or should I just install the deb files from Sid and go on like
nothing happened?

┬*

Any information or comments are welcome.

┬*

Thanks!

Chris Stackpole

"Douglas A. Tutty" 06-04-2008 05:15 PM

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:59:33AM -0500, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

> This morning I kinda fell into a panic when I couldn't find ntpd and
> so I did some Google searching. It seems that people are suggesting a
> move to OpenNTPD. I found this link about it:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenNTPD.
>
> I understand the licensing issues and all, but I really really need to
> have the information provided by `ntpq -p`. Time is very important at
> my job. Does anyone know if OpenNTPD can provide this information? I
> guess what I should be asking is: should I make a move to OpenNTPD or
> some other NTP service? Or should I just install the deb files from
> Sid and go on like nothing happened?

OpenBSD has on-line man pages. Their man pages are the definitive
documentation. Why not go to www.openbsd.org, click on man pages, run
an apropos of ntp and read all the relavant man pages. You will
probably find that it will do everything you need. Then you can install
Debian's port of it.

Doug.

Johannes Wiedersich 06-05-2008 01:35 PM

ntp not any more supported in Debian or did I miss something?

"Stackpole, Chris" 06-05-2008 02:18 PM

ntp not any more supported in Debian or did I miss something?

@ Johannes
Thanks for the links and information.

>OpenBSD has on-line man pages. Their man pages are the definitive
>documentation. Why not go to www.openbsd.org, click on man pages, run
>an apropos of ntp and read all the relavant man pages. You will
>probably find that it will do everything you need. Then you can
install
>Debian's port of it.

I have been doing some research on it and have already installed it on
this new system. I guess I was kind of hoping for community feed back on
what others were doing who previously relied on ntpd. Sometimes
replacement packages for software are better then the original.
Sometimes they are worse. Since I rely on NTP so much I can't really
afford to be on the worse side of things :-)

Anyway, the short story on my point of view is if the community is
moving onwards then I will too as long as I don't lose any
functionality. However, if this is just a short term problem and the ntp
package I use will be back then there is no reason for me to spend time
learning a new software package that I won't use. Since packages pop in
and out of testing all of the time I was hoping for the latter but
preparing for the first.

Thanks guys!
Chris

Rick Thomas 06-24-2008 05:27 AM

ntp not any more supported in Debian or did I miss something?

OK,

So, if I *must* have ntp from ntp.org on my Lenny system, is there a
place I can get a working ".deb"? Can it be put in "non-free"?

Thanks!

Rick