Old 06-01-2008, 01:59 PM
"Walt L. Williams"

Default Re-configure x

Greeting All

I have recently upgraded my computer hardware. When
doing the re-install of Etch. (I re-installed so I could take full
advantage of the 64 bit processor I bought, so I reloaded it
with the AMD64 variation of Debian; otherwise I would have
just used the existing 32 bit install, which I am sure would
have worked fine. Linux does a better job of this than the
OS produced in Redmond Wa.) The install doesn't prompt
for approval for the X driver it thinks it should install, it just
does it, even in expert mode. This actually doesn't bother
me, but I didn't get the resolution I had hoped for so I used
the last command I knew of to re-configure X:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

It came back saying that " 'xserver-xfree86' is not installed
and no info is available." Well, apparently there has been a
change since the last time I used this command. I tried
scanning through Debian's online documentation but
had no luck in finding anything usefull.

** Does anyone know what command to use? **

My system is a 2.2ghz dual core AMD Opteron
with an onboard ATI Rage XL video. The monitor
is a Hann-G HG216D. The best resolution that
I can get currently is 1280 X 960 out of a monitor
and graphics combo that is capable of closer to
1680 X 1050. My screen is currently kind of grainy
and the whole setup is slow. So I don't think the
system is using the right driver.

Any useful comments will be appreciated.

--
Best Regards
Walt L. Williams

.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 13:59 +0000, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> Greeting All
>
> I have recently upgraded my computer hardware. When
> doing the re-install of Etch. (I re-installed so I could take full
> advantage of the 64 bit processor I bought, so I reloaded it
> with the AMD64 variation of Debian; otherwise I would have
> just used the existing 32 bit install, which I am sure would
> have worked fine. Linux does a better job of this than the
> OS produced in Redmond Wa.) The install doesn't prompt
> for approval for the X driver it thinks it should install, it just
> does it, even in expert mode. This actually doesn't bother
> me, but I didn't get the resolution I had hoped for so I used
> the last command I knew of to re-configure X:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> It came back saying that " 'xserver-xfree86' is not installed
> and no info is available." Well, apparently there has been a
> change since the last time I used this command. I tried
> scanning through Debian's online documentation but
> had no luck in finding anything usefull.
>
> ** Does anyone know what command to use? **
>
> My system is a 2.2ghz dual core AMD Opteron
> with an onboard ATI Rage XL video. The monitor
> is a Hann-G HG216D. The best resolution that
> I can get currently is 1280 X 960 out of a monitor
> and graphics combo that is capable of closer to
> 1680 X 1050. My screen is currently kind of grainy
> and the whole setup is slow. So I don't think the
> system is using the right driver.
>
> Any useful comments will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Walt L. Williams
> http://www.intergate.com/~waltwilliams/

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Note, it might still not ask you what resolutions to run at. X has
gotten pretty smart and "assumes" many of the formerly asked questions
and mostly gets it right.
--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 06-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 01 June 2008 15:59, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> Greeting All
>
> I have recently upgraded my computer hardware. When
> doing the re-install of Etch. (I re-installed so I could take full
> advantage of the 64 bit processor I bought, so I reloaded it
> with the AMD64 variation of Debian; otherwise I would have
> just used the existing 32 bit install, which I am sure would
> have worked fine. Linux does a better job of this than the
> OS produced in Redmond Wa.) The install doesn't prompt
> for approval for the X driver it thinks it should install, it just
> does it, even in expert mode. This actually doesn't bother
> me, but I didn't get the resolution I had hoped for so I used
> the last command I knew of to re-configure X:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
This is now:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I know I've often had resolution problems with new installs on my Debian os's,
and have had to add HorizSync, and VertRefresh lines along with their
frequency ranges in the "Monitor" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Be carefull
with this though, and verify the limitations of your monitor, by booting for
instance with a Knoppix live cd, which gives a lot of info when booting,
about your hardware.

> My system is a 2.2ghz dual core AMD Opteron
> with an onboard ATI Rage XL video. The monitor
> is a Hann-G HG216D. The best resolution that
> I can get currently is 1280 X 960 out of a monitor
> and graphics combo that is capable of closer to
> 1680 X 1050. My screen is currently kind of grainy
> and the whole setup is slow. So I don't think the
> system is using the right driver.
>
> Any useful comments will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Walt L. Williams
> http://www.intergate.com/~waltwilliams/
>
> .
All the best.

Nigel.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:05 PM
"Walt L. Williams"

Thanks That did the trick. I am now running at 1440 X 900 @ 24bit
Much better than I had.

DVDs still will not play without studdering but I bet thats due to a
lack of a decent graphics card. The motherboard has a ATI Rage
XL chip with only 8MB of RAM. I am looking now for an appropriate
add in card that will do the job.