Old 06-01-2008, 10:27 AM
"Arvind Marathe"

Default problems with gnu screen within console

Hi list!
I am using debian lenny and icewm as my window manager on X.
I use gnu screen within my xterm and sometimes within my console. I am
having a strange problem with gnu screen for the past few days. Within
xterm, gnu screen opens just fine. But if i open screen within
console, i get a huge list of messages such as:

bash: sed: command not found
bash: awk: command not found
bash: uname: command not found
bash: [: =: unary operator expected
.
.
.

screen launches after this, but if i use any command, say 'ls', 'vi',
etc, i get the same error.
bash: ls: command not found

The user (i.e. myself) launching 'startx' has no problems with screen
within xterm in icewm. But if i 'su' to root or any other user within
xterm, and try to launch screen, all the errors appear.

The errors are independent of the $HOME/.screenrc file, they appear
even if i remove that file. The /etc/screenrc file is the default one.

I am not sure when these errors started, but they have appeared only
within the past month or so.

TIA for any help.

Arvind

Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Steve Lamb

Arvind Marathe wrote:
> The user (i.e. myself) launching 'startx' has no problems with screen
> within xterm in icewm. But if i 'su' to root or any other user within
> xterm, and try to launch screen, all the errors appear.

The PATH for the other user(s) and console is not being set.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who decides what they dream?
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | And dream I do...

Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 AM
"Arvind Marathe"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> Arvind Marathe wrote:
>> The user (i.e. myself) launching 'startx' has no problems with screen
>> within xterm in icewm. But if i 'su' to root or any other user within
>> xterm, and try to launch screen, all the errors appear.
>
> The PATH for the other user(s) and console is not being set.

Where or how do i set it? And since i could do all these operations
till about a month back, what could have unset these paths?

Arvind

Old 06-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Tony R Quilkey

Arvind Marathe wrote:

The user (i.e. myself) launching 'startx' has no problems with screen
within xterm in icewm. But if i 'su' to root or any other user within
xterm, and try to launch screen, all the errors appear.

The PATH for the other user(s) and console is not being set.

Where or how do i set it? And since i could do all these operations
till about a month back, what could have unset these paths?

Arvind

I believe your $PATH variable is set within /etc/profile and can be
further customised within ~/.bashrc

Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 04:04:08AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Arvind Marathe wrote:
> > The user (i.e. myself) launching 'startx' has no problems with screen
> > within xterm in icewm. But if i 'su' to root or any other user within
> > xterm, and try to launch screen, all the errors appear.
>
> The PATH for the other user(s) and console is not being set.

Or rather, gets explicitly overriden. PATH has a sane default of
/bin:/usr/bin at init.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
"Arvind Marathe"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Arvind Marathe wrote:

>>> The PATH for the other user(s) and console is not being set.
>>
>> Where or how do i set it? And since i could do all these operations
>> till about a month back, what could have unset these paths?
>>
>> Arvind
>>

> I believe your $PATH variable is set within /etc/profile and can be further
> customised within ~/.bashrc

At console, echo $PATH gives
/opt/intel/cc/10.1.008/bin:/opt/intel/fc/10.1.008/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/coot-0.27/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/CNS/cns_solve_1.1//intel-i686-linux_g77/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/CNS/cns_solve_1.1//intel-i686-linux_g77/utils:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/etc:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/ccp4i/bin:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nuparm:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nucgen:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nucrad:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/curvefit:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/helanal:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/lsfit:/usr/soft/AMBER/amber9//exe:/home/arvind/bin

Most of them are what i have set, but
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
are exported from /etc/profile. Only when i launch screen, they are
not being exported. So why are they getting unset on launching screen
within console? And how do i reset them?

And as i mentioned, this is a recent phenomenon. I don't think i have
upgraded any package related to console or screen. Today i upgraded
screen using apt-get to see if the behaviour changes, but it didn't.

Arvind

Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:02:51PM +0530, Arvind Marathe wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > Arvind Marathe wrote:

> >> Where or how do i set it? And since i could do all these operations
> >> till about a month back, what could have unset these paths?
> >>
> >> Arvind
> >>

> > I believe your $PATH variable is set within /etc/profile and can be further
> > customised within ~/.bashrc
>
> At console, echo $PATH gives
> /opt/intel/cc/10.1.008/bin:/opt/intel/fc/10.1.008/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/coot-0.27/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/CNS/cns_solve_1.1//intel-i686-linux_g77/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/CNS/cns_solve_1.1//intel-i686-linux_g77/utils:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/etc:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/bin:/usr/soft/crystallographic-packages/ccp4-5.99.1/ccp4i/bin:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nuparm:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nucgen:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/nucrad:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/curvefit:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/helanal:/usr/soft/inhouse_programs/lsfit:/usr/soft/AMBER/amber9//exe:/home/arvind/bin
>
> Most of them are what i have set, but
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
> are exported from /etc/profile. Only when i launch screen, they are
> not being exported. So why are they getting unset on launching screen
> within console? And how do i reset them?

clarify this. when you echo $PATH within a screen session, it is
missing /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games ?

SOmething's gone wrong with the setup of the environment scripts. As a
temporary work-around, you could run them from within the screen
session after it comes up.

Do you get the same behavior when you launch a new screen within an
existing session? (Ctrl-a c I think).