Old 06-01-2008, 06:20 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default gnome launch problem

No menu bar, no tool bar.

I have been using icewm with no problems but decided to check out
gnome. If I log out, change the session to gnome and log in I get a
blue screen with the Debian swirl, icons for the disk drives and my home
directory and a short hum from the speakers but no menu bar and no tool
bar.

I found tool bar and menu bar settings of 0,4,0,0 and 0,0,0,0 in
.gnome/gmenu and tried changing these to values like 0,80,0,4 or
0,4,0,80 with no effect even when I used /etc/init.d/gdm restart, then
change session to gnome and logged in.

This is not the end of the world as all the apps I use run fine with
icewm but maybe there would be more I would like if I could start gnome.

Tom

Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM
"Mumia W.."

I have been using icewm with no problems but decided to check out
gnome. If I log out, change the session to gnome and log in I get a
blue screen with the Debian swirl, icons for the disk drives and my home
directory and a short hum from the speakers but no menu bar and no tool
bar.
I found tool bar and menu bar settings of 0,4,0,0 and 0,0,0,0 in
.gnome/gmenu and tried changing these to values like 0,80,0,4 or
0,4,0,80 with no effect even when I used /etc/init.d/gdm restart, then
change session to gnome and logged in.

This is not the end of the world as all the apps I use run fine with
icewm but maybe there would be more I would like if I could start gnome.

Tom

What distribution are you using?

Open a terminal and start "gnome-panel"; if it fails to start, it should
provide an error message that might provide a clue about what's wrong.