Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Shams Fantar

Default Civil engineering software

Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/1 Shams Fantar <sfantar@snurf.info>:
> I'm looking for civil engineering sofwares. Do you know a software for
> the calculs of forces, the stability of forces, etc. ?

I may be able to ask someone at the university tomorrow. What is the
equivalent Windows (or other platform) software? Be specific.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Andrew Reid

On Sunday 01 June 2008 09:52, Shams Fantar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for civil engineering sofwares. Do you know a software for
> the calculs of forces, the stability of forces, etc. ?

Not sure if this meets the bill, but I can't resist the
opportunity to plug open-source scientific software --
there is a free finite-element package available from
the US government's standards lab, NIST.

It's called Object-Oriented Finite-elements, or OOF.

It's primarily intended to model the behavior of
systems with fairly complex geometries, for a materials-science
audience, but it's a pretty general FE system.

So far only 2D, and only rudimentary nonlinear analysis,
but perhaps worth a look for you.

<http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/oof>

Disclaimer: I am one of the principal developers of this
software, and that web server has been the topic of posts
on this very list.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 01/06/2008, Shams Fantar <sfantar@snurf.info> wrote:
> I'm looking for civil engineering sofwares. Do you know a software for
> the calculs of forces, the stability of forces, etc. ?

I'm not sure if you're comfortable setting up and solving the PDEs
yourself, but if you are, you should examine freefem and freefem3d.

Depending how much of a numericist you are, you may also be interested
in Octave.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.