Old 05-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Florian Kulzer

Default X affecting console text color??

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 14:10:47 +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My console text has the default light gray color - until X is started.
>
> When going from X to the console with Ctrl-Alt-F2, the console
> foreground color has turned to dark gray, hardly readable on the black
> background.
> Even after logging out of X, back into the console, the console text
> remains dark gray.
> Only after restarting the computer, the default light gray text color
> has returned.
>
> This phenomenon started 1 or 2 weeks ago, during a lenny upgrade
> involving a large number of files that had 'xorg' in their names.
>
> Anyone else having this?
> How could X affect the default console text color?

Maybe a bug in the video driver screws up the video mode switching.
Which xorg video driver are you using? You could try to downgrade to the
previous version or test if the vesa driver leads to the same problem.

> Where is the default console foreground color determined anyway, and
> could I at least correct it manually?

setterm -foreground black|blue|green|cyan|red|magenta|yellow|white|def ault

You can also try the -default, -reset and -initialize options.

Florian |

Old 05-31-2008, 05:50 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My console text has the default light gray color - until X is started.
>
> When going from X to the console with Ctrl-Alt-F2, the console
> foreground color has turned to dark gray, hardly readable on the black
> background.
> Even after logging out of X, back into the console, the console text
> remains dark gray.
> Only after restarting the computer, the default light gray text color
> has returned.
>
> This phenomenon started 1 or 2 weeks ago, during a lenny upgrade
> involving a large number of files that had 'xorg' in their names.
>
> Anyone else having this?
> How could X affect the default console text color?
> Where is the default console foreground color determined anyway, and
> could I at least correct it manually?

On Sid I had this problem for a long time (months), but it seems to have
stopped within the past few days. I never really bothered to investigate it
(too busy). Maybe whatever fixed it in Sid will trickle down soon.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Op Sat, May 31, 2008 at 16:39:03 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 14:10:47 +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> > My console text has the default light gray color - until X is
> > started.
> >
> > When going from X to the console with Ctrl-Alt-F2, the console
> > foreground color has turned to dark gray, hardly readable on the
> > black background.
> > Even after logging out of X, back into the console, the console text
> > remains dark gray.
> > Only after restarting the computer, the default light gray text
> > color has returned.
> >
> > This phenomenon started 1 or 2 weeks ago, during a lenny upgrade
> > involving a large number of files that had 'xorg' in their names.
> >
> > Anyone else having this?
> > How could X affect the default console text color?
>
> Maybe a bug in the video driver screws up the video mode switching.
> Which xorg video driver are you using?

The R300 driver, videocard is ATI Radeon 9500.
But now we're moving towards the limits of my knowledge. How do I find
out if this driver is still used, after the xorg upgrade 2 weeks ago?

> You could try to downgrade to the previous version or test if the
> vesa driver leads to the same problem.

Among many others, these drivers are installed:

xserver-xorg-video-ati
xserver-xorg-video-vesa

How to switch to the vesa driver?
Anyway, judging from Kelly Clowers' reply, I might wait a few months and
revert to this if this phenomenon has not ceased to exist by then.

Yet, it's interesting to see that in the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf most
hardware information has gone; everything is 'generic', 'default' or
'configured'.
If it's of any interest, here it is:
http://home.kpnplanet.nl/~shiems@kpnplanet.nl/xorg.conf.txt

And this is the previous one, having more hardware specifications:
http://home.kpnplanet.nl/~shiems@kpnplanet.nl/xorg.conf.20080517230418.txt

Replacing the new xorg.conf with the previous one does not make any
difference though.

> > Where is the default console foreground color determined anyway, and
> > could I at least correct it manually?
>
> setterm -foreground black|blue|green|cyan|red|magenta|yellow|white|
> default
>
> You can also try the -default, -reset and -initialize options.

E.g. 'setterm -foreground green' gives a very faint green text color,
hardly readable, and only from a certain viewing angle on the tft
screen. Same with the other colors.
Commands like 'setterm -default' or 'setterm -reset' do not make any
difference.
Apparently, these settings have nothing to do with it.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:27:54 +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> Op Sat, May 31, 2008 at 16:39:03 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 14:10:47 +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> > > My console text has the default light gray color - until X is
> > > started.
> > >
> > > When going from X to the console with Ctrl-Alt-F2, the console
> > > foreground color has turned to dark gray, hardly readable on the
> > > black background.
> > > Even after logging out of X, back into the console, the console text
> > > remains dark gray.
> > > Only after restarting the computer, the default light gray text
> > > color has returned.
> > >
> > > This phenomenon started 1 or 2 weeks ago, during a lenny upgrade
> > > involving a large number of files that had 'xorg' in their names.
> > >
> > > Anyone else having this?
> > > How could X affect the default console text color?
> >
> > Maybe a bug in the video driver screws up the video mode switching.
> > Which xorg video driver are you using?
>
> The R300 driver, videocard is ATI Radeon 9500.
> But now we're moving towards the limits of my knowledge. How do I find
> out if this driver is still used, after the xorg upgrade 2 weeks ago?

Running

grep '/drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

should tell you which driver is loaded. It will probably be ati_drv.so,
which is a "smart" wrapper for all ATI cards. It should detect that your
card needs radeon_drv.so and load that one.

While you are at it, you might also want to check for warnings and error
messages with something like

egrep '^((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> > You could try to downgrade to the previous version or test if the
> > vesa driver leads to the same problem.
>
> Among many others, these drivers are installed:
>
> xserver-xorg-video-ati
> xserver-xorg-video-vesa

Both ati_drv.so and radeon_drv.so are in xserver-xorg-video-ati, so you
could try to downgrade to the previous version of that package (found in
your package cache or at snapshot.debian.net).

> How to switch to the vesa driver?

Put

Driver "vesa"

into the "Device" section of your xorg.conf. The vesa driver does not
have proper hardware acceleration, so you will probably not want to use
it permanently. This is just meant as a test to see if the ati/radeon
module is indeed the source of your problem.

To further test the ati/radeon driver, you can run

tail -fn0 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

in an X terminal, then switch to a console, switch back to X and check
the messages. Maybe something helpful, or at least google-friendly,
comes up.

Also check the BTS. A quick glance shows at least 4 bugs related to VT
switching (#435040, #472108, #470925, #482696). Maybe your problem is
related to one of them.

[...]

(I did not notice anything unusual in either version of xorg.conf.)

> E.g. 'setterm -foreground green' gives a very faint green text color,
> hardly readable, and only from a certain viewing angle on the tft
> screen. Same with the other colors.
> Commands like 'setterm -default' or 'setterm -reset' do not make any
> difference.
> Apparently, these settings have nothing to do with it.

I think that this also suggests a problem with the graphics driver, for
example wrong configuration of the screen brightness/backlight.

Florian |

Old 06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:

>> > Anyone else having this?
>> > How could X affect the default console text color?
>>
>> Maybe a bug in the video driver screws up the video mode switching.
>> Which xorg video driver are you using?
>
> The R300 driver, videocard is ATI Radeon 9500.
> But now we're moving towards the limits of my knowledge. How do I find
> out if this driver is still used, after the xorg upgrade 2 weeks ago?

You are almost certainly still using the same driver.
You can check in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

>> You could try to downgrade to the previous version or test if the
>> vesa driver leads to the same problem.
>
> Among many others, these drivers are installed:
>
> xserver-xorg-video-ati
> xserver-xorg-video-vesa
>
> How to switch to the vesa driver?

Put Driver "vesa" in the Device section of xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 NE [Radeon 9500 Pro]"
Driver "vesa"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Note that vesa cannot do much more than 1024x768

> Anyway, judging from Kelly Clowers' reply, I might wait a few months and
> revert to this if this phenomenon has not ceased to exist by then.

I am using the same driver and a Radeon 9250, BTW

On this page we can see when different version of the driver enter Debian

http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xserver-xorg-video-ati.html

The very latest entry is what fixed my issue. I guess the 2008-05-05
migration to testing is what broke your setup. The 2008-02-19 migration
to Unstable looks like the right time for it to have broken my setup.

I looked at the Debian bug reports for ATI, and I didn't see anything
similar. A bug report ought to be filed so they know this is happening
in some cases.

I am in the process of looking at the x.org bugzilla.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 06-01-2008, 07:51 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Florian Kulzer
<florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
> Also check the BTS. A quick glance shows at least 4 bugs related to VT
> switching (#435040, #472108, #470925, #482696). Maybe your problem is
> related to one of them.

Thanks for finding those, my bugzilla-foo is not nearly strong enough yet.
472108 in particular looks related.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 06-01-2008, 07:54 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Florian Kulzer
> <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
>> Also check the BTS. A quick glance shows at least 4 bugs related to VT
>> switching (#435040, #472108, #470925, #482696). Maybe your problem is
>> related to one of them.
>
> Thanks for finding those, my bugzilla-foo is not nearly strong enough yet.
> 472108 in particular looks related.

freedesktop.org bugs #13852 and #15624 may also be related.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 21:09:34 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:27:54 +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:

> > > Maybe a bug in the video driver screws up the video mode
> > > switching. Which xorg video driver are you using?
> >
> > The R300 driver, videocard is ATI Radeon 9500.
> > But now we're moving towards the limits of my knowledge. How do
> > I find out if this driver is still used, after the xorg upgrade
> > 2 weeks ago?
>
> Running
>
> grep '/drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> should tell you which driver is loaded. It will probably be
> ati_drv.so, which is a "smart" wrapper for all ATI cards. It should
> detect that your card needs radeon_drv.so and load that one.

This appears to be the case:

$ grep '/drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so

> > > You could try to downgrade to the previous version or test if the
> > > vesa driver leads to the same problem.

Indeed, with the vesa driver, the problem disappears.

> Both ati_drv.so and radeon_drv.so are in xserver-xorg-video-ati, so
> you could try to downgrade to the previous version of that package
> (found in your package cache or at snapshot.debian.net).

After removing the vesa driver from /etc/X11/xorg.conf I downgraded
xserver-xorg-video-ati from 1:6.8.0-1 to 1:6.7.197-1 :

# dpkg --force-downgrade -i xserver-xorg-video-ati_6.7.197-1_i386.deb
# aptitude hold xserver-xorg-video-ati

and indeed, this appears to be a solution.

Now when I notice that a newer version of xserver-xorg-video-ati has
moved to testing (which, among other places, I can see at
http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xserver-xorg-video-ati.html - thanks to
Kelly Clowers) then I will do an
'aptitude unhold xserver-xorg-video-ati'
and the usual 'aptitude update' and 'aptitude safe-upgrade'.

Thanks to you and Kelly for the perfect replies. I found the rest of
your suggestions, not mentioned here, to be clarifying as well.

I'd like to make clear that I was not whining about having a big
problem though. Waiting a few months would be acceptable.
It would just be annoying if it would last forever.

Regards,
Sjoerd

Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:34:04 +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 21:09:34 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> $ grep '/drivers/' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so

> Indeed, with the vesa driver, the problem disappears.
>
> > Both ati_drv.so and radeon_drv.so are in xserver-xorg-video-ati, so
> > you could try to downgrade to the previous version of that package
> > (found in your package cache or at snapshot.debian.net).
>
> After removing the vesa driver from /etc/X11/xorg.conf I downgraded
> xserver-xorg-video-ati from 1:6.8.0-1 to 1:6.7.197-1 :
>
> # dpkg --force-downgrade -i xserver-xorg-video-ati_6.7.197-1_i386.deb
> # aptitude hold xserver-xorg-video-ati
>
> and indeed, this appears to be a solution.
>
> Now when I notice that a newer version of xserver-xorg-video-ati has
> moved to testing (which, among other places, I can see at
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xserver-xorg-video-ati.html - thanks to
> Kelly Clowers) then I will do an
> 'aptitude unhold xserver-xorg-video-ati'
> and the usual 'aptitude update' and 'aptitude safe-upgrade'.

Do you know aptitude's "forbid-version" command? You can forbid upgrades
to specific versions of a package. Then you won't have to check the
packages.qa.d.o page to see if a still newer (hopefully fixed) version
is available. Aptitude will upgrade to a newer version normally, but it
will keep the forbidden version off your system (unless you manually
override this again).

Florian |

Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Ron Johnson