Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Nick Lidakis

Default What packages has aptitude installed on my server?

Kelly Jones wrote:

I often do "aptitude install package" to install a package.

Cow can I get a list of all the packages I've installed this way?

Looking at /var/cache/apt/archives seems like a kludge?

dpkg -l | less

Old 05-31-2008, 01:09 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 08:41:02PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Kelly Jones wrote:
>> I often do "aptitude install package" to install a package.
>>
>> Cow can I get a list of all the packages I've installed this way?
>>
>> Looking at /var/cache/apt/archives seems like a kludge?
>>
> dpkg -l | less

dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' | less

will restrict it to just the installed packages, just the package
name.

aptitude search '~i!~M'

will show only those packages that are not automatically
installed. That is those packages that were manually, purposefully
installed, and not packages that were brought in as dependencies.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:41 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 06:09:53PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> was heard to say:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 08:41:02PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> > Kelly Jones wrote:
> >> I often do "aptitude install package" to install a package.
> >>
> >> Cow can I get a list of all the packages I've installed this way?
> >>
> >> Looking at /var/cache/apt/archives seems like a kludge?
> >>
> > dpkg -l | less
>
> dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/ {print $2}' | less
>
> will restrict it to just the installed packages, just the package
> name.
>
> aptitude search '~i!~M'
>
> will show only those packages that are not automatically
> installed. That is those packages that were manually, purposefully
> installed, and not packages that were brought in as dependencies.

If what you want is historical information, check /var/log/aptitude
and /var/log/dpkg.

Daniel

Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 05:15:06PM -0700, Kelly Jones wrote:
> I often do "aptitude install package" to install a package.
>
> Cow can I get a list of all the packages I've installed this way?
>
> Looking at /var/cache/apt/archives seems like a kludge?

Aptitude search ~i

Will tell you all installed packages (manually or automatic)

Read the aptitude manual for the full search string howto.

Doug.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Kevin Mark

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 05:15:06PM -0700, Kelly Jones wrote:
> I often do "aptitude install package" to install a package.
>
> Cow can I get a list of all the packages I've installed this way?
>
> Looking at /var/cache/apt/archives seems like a kludge?
>
> --

dpkg --get-selections
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|