Old 05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Ron Johnson

Default HotSwapping Disks

Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

UDP 514 wrote:
I have a server with hot swap disks.

I'd like to be able to swap out a non-system disk , eg /dev/sdd and
put in a new
disk, partition it in fdisk, then mount those partitions. This all
works fine, I can partition it,
but the linux kernel hangs on to the old disk partitions in memory,
so I can't mke2fs or
mount the newly created partitions, without doing a reboot.

Is there a way to force the kernel re-read the partition tables on a
non-system disk?
How do people maintain high uptime, if you need to reboot every time
just to see an extra

disk in a hot swap system?

Paul
I believe partprobe is what you are looking for. Run fdisk/parted makes
your changes, write them to disk, exit. Then as root "partprobe" will
make the kernel to re-read the partition table. You should then be able
to mkfs to your harts content.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 06-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-05-30 15:18:23, schrieb UDP 514:
> I have a server with hot swap disks.
> I'd like to be able to swap out a non-system disk , eg /dev/sdd and put in
> a new
> disk, partition it in fdisk, then mount those partitions. This all works
> fine, I can partition it,
> but the linux kernel hangs on to the old disk partitions in memory, so I
> can't mke2fs or
> mount the newly created partitions, without doing a reboot.
>
> Is there a way to force the kernel re-read the partition tables on a
> non-system disk?
> How do people maintain high uptime, if you need to reboot every time just to
> see an extra
> disk in a hot swap system?

You have to rescan the SCSI disk.

apt-get install scsiadd

You must remove the disk and then readd it.
Also you can use "scsitools"

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 06-04-2008, 04:21 AM
David Clymer

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 15:18 +0100, UDP 514 wrote:
> I have a server with hot swap disks.
>
> I'd like to be able to swap out a non-system disk , eg /dev/sdd and
> put in a new
> disk, partition it in fdisk, then mount those partitions. This all
> works fine, I can partition it,
> but the linux kernel hangs on to the old disk partitions in memory,
> so I can't mke2fs or
> mount the newly created partitions, without doing a reboot.
>

> Is there a way to force the kernel re-read the partition tables on a
> non-system disk?

hdparm -z /device/here

Looks like it should do what you want.

-davidc