-   -   traffic monitoring tool with total statistics (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/98118-traffic-monitoring-tool-total-statistics.html)

Jonas Meurer 05-30-2008 01:47 PM

traffic monitoring tool with total statistics

Hello,

I'm searching for a network traffic monitoring tool which supports to
report total numbers, like absolute mbytes/gbytes of ingoing/outgoing
traffic per week/month. The tools i've tested so far (munin, mrtg)
seem to support only relative numbers like curent, maximal, minmal
and average bytes per second.

I also gave darkstat a try, and this one indeed counts the total
transfered bytes splitted by in/out, but it doesn't show daily, weekly
or monthly values. Additionally its graphs are not very informative.

As I already use munin for host monitoring, I would be glad to hear that
mrtg or some munin plugin supports the kind of statistics I'm searching
for. But so far I failed to find something appropriate.

greetings,
jonas

Travis Crook 05-30-2008 03:12 PM

traffic monitoring tool with total statistics

On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:47:53 +0200
Jonas Meurer <jonas@freesources.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm searching for a network traffic monitoring tool which supports to
> report total numbers, like absolute mbytes/gbytes of ingoing/outgoing
> traffic per week/month. The tools i've tested so far (munin, mrtg)
> seem to support only relative numbers like curent, maximal, minmal
> and average bytes per second.

Have you tried vnstat? It will give daily/weekly/monthly totals of
incoming/outgoing traffic by interface (i.e. eth0, eth1). Basic info
and download (if not in Debian repository) found here:
http://humdi.net/vnstat/.

--
Travis Crook
Visions Beyond

Jonas Meurer 05-30-2008 06:41 PM

On 30/05/2008 Travis Crook wrote:
> > I'm searching for a network traffic monitoring tool which supports to
> > report total numbers, like absolute mbytes/gbytes of ingoing/outgoing
> > traffic per week/month. The tools i've tested so far (munin, mrtg)
> > seem to support only relative numbers like curent, maximal, minmal
> > and average bytes per second.
>
> Have you tried vnstat? It will give daily/weekly/monthly totals of
> incoming/outgoing traffic by interface (i.e. eth0, eth1). Basic info
> and download (if not in Debian repository) found here:
> http://humdi.net/vnstat/.

Hey Travis,

Thanks a lot, vmstat indeed is exactly what I was searching for.
Especially in conjunction with vmstati and vmstat.cgi or the vmstat php
frontend.

greetings,
jonas

Travis Crook 05-30-2008 07:59 PM

traffic monitoring tool with total statistics

On Fri, 30 May 2008 20:41:10 +0200
Jonas Meurer <jonas@freesources.org> wrote:

> On 30/05/2008 Travis Crook wrote:
<snip>

> Hey Travis,
>
> Thanks a lot, vmstat indeed is exactly what I was searching for.
> Especially in conjunction with vmstati and vmstat.cgi or the vmstat
> php frontend.

I'll have to look into those other pieces - I've only ever used the
base vnstat to track stuff, but I see some things have been added. I'm
glad it works for you.

--
Travis Crook
Visions Beyond