Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 PM
"UDP 514"

Default HotSwapping Disks

I have a server with hot swap disks. *
I'd like to be able to swap out a non-system*disk , eg */dev/sdd *and put in a new*disk, partition it in fdisk, then mount those*partitions. This all works fine, I can partition it,
*but the linux kernel hangs on to*the old disk partitions in memory, so I can't mke2fs or*mount the*newly created partitions, without doing a reboot.
Is there a way to force the kernel re-read the partition tables on a non-system disk?
How do people maintain high uptime, if you need to reboot every time just to see an extra
disk in a hot swap system?
Paul