Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 AM
TonyQ

Default wireless-tools not working.

Pretty new to this, running sid.

Using the following wifi configuration within my /etc/network/interfaces
file fails.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

manual eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.10.10
netmask 255.0.0.0
network 192.168.10.0
broadcast 192.168.10.255
gateway 192.168.10.1
dns-nameservers 203.0.178.191
dns-search thorpesystems.local

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.10.2
netmask 255.0.0.0
network 192.168.10.255
gateway 192.168.10.1
wireless-mode managed
wireless-essid TSP
wireless-key AC45FE23ED3EDF51A78CDE45F1
dns-nameservers 192.168.10.100
dns-search thorpesystems.local

The only related message I seem to be able to find in /var/log/dmesg is
this....

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

on the very last line.

As a work around I have placed....

iwconfig wlan0 essid TSP ap 00:1C:F0:3A:F2C mode Managed freq 3
channel 6 retry 24 key AC45-FE23-ED3E-DF51-A78C-DE45-F1

(on one line) in my /etc/rc.local file which does get me a working (all
be it intermittent) connection, however I would like to resolve this
wireless-tools problem.

My card is...

Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g

I have installed firmware-ralink, wireless-tools and the rt61pci drivers
are loading. Anyone got any ideas where to start?

Thanks,
Tony.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:51:52 +1000
Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Pretty new to this, running sid.

Hi!

> Using the following wifi configuration within my /etc/network/interfaces
> file fails.

> auto wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet static
> address 192.168.10.2
> netmask 255.0.0.0
> network 192.168.10.255
> gateway 192.168.10.1
> wireless-mode managed
> wireless-essid TSP
> wireless-key AC45FE23ED3EDF51A78CDE45F1
> dns-nameservers 192.168.10.100
> dns-search thorpesystems.local
>
> The only related message I seem to be able to find in /var/log/dmesg is
> this....
>
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

After doing 'ifup wlan0', what is the result of 'ifconfig wlan0' and
'iwconfig wlan0'?

> Tony.

Celejar

Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 AM
Celejar

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:28:09 +1000
Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> The following output is when I've started the machine without the script
> in /etc/rc.local.

> ~ # sudo iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
> Not-Associated
> Tx-Power=27 dBm
> Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
> Encryption keyff
> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

OK, apparently your wifi card isn't properly associating with the AP.

> Note, If I restart the machine after placing my script in /etc/rc.local
> this is the outcome.

> ~ # sudo iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"TSP"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point:
> 00:1C:F0:3A:F2C
> Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
> Retry limit:24 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
> Encryption key:AC45-FE23-ED3E-DF51-A78C-DE45-F3
> Link Quality=29/100 Signal level=-64 dBm
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Now it is.

We need to figure out why the association isn't happening without your
custom commands. Try (without your custom stuff) 'ifup wlan0 --force' to
force the system to retry the configuration, and then re-run iwconfig
to see if the association works.

> Thanks,
> Tony.

Celejar

Old 06-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Tony R Quilkey

Sorry Celejar, I'm just getting used to this mail list idea as well.

Celejar wrote:

[...]

Ok, were getting somewhere.

~ # sudo ifup wlan0 --force
SIOCADDRT: File exists

~ # s iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"TSP"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point:
00:1C:F0:3A:F2C

Bit Rate=5.5 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
Encryption key:AC45-FE23-ED3E-DF51-A78C-DE45-F3
Link Quality=29/100 Signal level=-64 dBm

This brings the card up and it is now working. The question now is why
won't this happen on boot?

Thanks again,
Tony.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 16:41:01 +1000
Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Sorry Celejar, I'm just getting used to this mail list idea as well.
>
> Celejar wrote:
> > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:28:09 +1000
> > Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> >> The following output is when I've started the machine without the script
> >> in /etc/rc.local.

[no wifi association]

> > OK, apparently your wifi card isn't properly
associating with the AP.

> >> Note, If I restart the machine after placing my script in /etc/rc.local
> >> this is the outcome.

[correct wifi association]

> > Now it is.
> >
> > We need to figure out why the association isn't happening without your
> > custom commands. Try (without your custom stuff) 'ifup wlan0 --force' to
> > force the system to retry the configuration, and then re-run iwconfig
> > to see if the association works.
>
> Ok, were getting somewhere.
>
> ~ # sudo ifup wlan0 --force
> SIOCADDRT: File exists

[followed by correct wifi association]

> This brings the card up and it
is now working. The question now is why
> won't this happen on boot?

Just a shot in the dark, but some wlan drivers won't accept
configuration instructions while the interface is administratively
down. Perhaps try inserting a line like 'pre-up ifconfig $IFACE up' as
the first line of the relevant /etc/network/interfaces stanza?

> Thanks again,
> Tony.

Celejar