Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM

Default text file from Linux to windows.

> Doug writes:
>> IIRC, each card had a sequence number. I don't know if they had
>> card-sorter machines.
>
> Yes, of course we had sorters. Card sorting machines are much older than
> computers: it's what punch cards were invented for. Ask Wikipedia to tell
> you about Herman Hollerith. Don't you kids study history?
> --
> John Hasler

As I recall Hollerith developed the card "reader" which also sorted cards
and his special punched card format for the census bureau in the US. The
bureau is required by law to take a census every 4(I think) years. The
data had become so voluminous that they were unable to tabulate the data
from the last survey before it was time for the next survey. Hollerith
used his invention to start a company which became IBM
Larry

Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 PM

> Larry Owens wrote:
>> I also remember when one had to put two STOP bits at the end of each
>> ASCII
>> character transmitted to allow the print ball time to return to its
>> resting position in advance of the next character
>
> That's not the reason for using two stop bits.
> --
> John Hasler

John
That's what I had been told. What's your take?
Larry

Old 05-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Marc Shapiro

owens@peak.org wrote:

Doug writes:

IIRC, each card had a sequence number. I don't know if they had
card-sorter machines.

Yes, of course we had sorters. Card sorting machines are much older than
computers: it's what punch cards were invented for. Ask Wikipedia to tell
you about Herman Hollerith. Don't you kids study history?
--
John Hasler

As I recall Hollerith developed the card "reader" which also sorted cards
and his special punched card format for the census bureau in the US. The
bureau is required by law to take a census every 4(I think) years. The
data had become so voluminous that they were unable to tabulate the data
from the last survey before it was time for the next survey. Hollerith
used his invention to start a company which became IBM
Larry

The census is taken every 10 years.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 05-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 08:57:42AM -0700, owens@peak.org wrote:
> > Doug writes:
> >> IIRC, each card had a sequence number. I don't know if they had
> >> card-sorter machines.
> >
> > Yes, of course we had sorters. Card sorting machines are much older than
> > computers: it's what punch cards were invented for. Ask Wikipedia to tell
> > you about Herman Hollerith. Don't you kids study history?
> > --
> > John Hasler
> >
> As I recall Hollerith developed the card "reader" which also sorted cards
> and his special punched card format for the census bureau in the US. The
> bureau is required by law to take a census every 4(I think) years. The
> data had become so voluminous that they were unable to tabulate the data
> from the last survey before it was time for the next survey. Hollerith
> used his invention to start a company which became IBM
> Larry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom
The Jacquard Loom is a mechanical loom, invented by Joseph Marie
Jacquard in 1801

http://www.eingang.org/Lecture/index.html
punched cards in connection with computing in 1890 by Herman Hollerith

--
Chris.
======

Old 06-01-2008, 02:17 PM
"Walt L. Williams"

There are more intelligent text editors for Window$ than notepad.
Try using one called Textpad. http://www.textpad.com . It intelligently
detects if the file was saved on a Unix, windows, or Mac system and
correctly displays the contents. I am registered user of Textpad from
days when I used to do Circuit Board design, back when I could still
get a position doing that. I needed a text editor that could read in
files from, and save back out to, the Sun Sparc stations the company
I worked for had, plus it needed to have a decent search mode.
Google for what might be best suited for what you want to use it for.

Well there you are. Hope this helps.

--
Best Regards
Walt L. Williams

.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Paul Scott

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 06:54:42PM +1000, Adrian Levi wrote:
>
>> 2008/5/30 Russell L. Harris :
>>
>>> I speak of the days of Fortran-II running on an IBM 1620. Back then,
>>> it often was necessary to load the compiler (another deck of punched
>>> cards) before loading the application.
>>>
>> It must have been fun to watch someone play pickup 500 and put them
>> all back in order again.
>>

> IIRC, each card had a sequence number.
That a choice which got in the way of the development stage. Who wanted
to punch a whole new deck for each small change?

Paul Scott

Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 PM
John Hasler

Paul Scott writes:
> That a choice which got in the way of the development stage. Who wanted
> to punch a whole new deck for each small change?

IIRC the numbers did not have to be sequential. That is, you could use 10
20 30 ... and then replace 20 with 15, 20, and 25 when you made a change.
The card sorter just put the cards in ascending order.
--
John Hasler

Old 06-13-2008, 12:34 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 04:47:50PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > IIRC, each [FORTRAN punch] card had a sequence number.
>
> Paul Scott writes:
> > That a choice which got in the way of the development stage. Who wanted
> > to punch a whole new deck for each small change?
>
> IIRC the numbers did not have to be sequential. That is, you could use 10
> 20 30 ... and then replace 20 with 15, 20, and 25 when you made a change.
> The card sorter just put the cards in ascending order.

Isn't that where line numbers came from? Since each line would have
corresponded to a card? I know that Fortran didn't have every single
line numbered (only for e.g. gotos), but I'm assuming that this is where
BASIC got the idea.

Doug.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Ron Johnson