Old 05-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Robert Jerrard

Default java plugin for Debian testing on an AMD64?

Can anyone tell me where to get a java plugin for Debian testing on an
AMD64? I thought www.blackdown.org was the place to get it but that site
does not seem to exist.

Any suggestion?

Thanks, Bob

--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,

Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Robert Jerrard

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 10:21 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 09:13:07AM -0600, Robert Jerrard wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me where to get a java plugin for Debian testing on an
> > AMD64?
>
> just for the record, I just installed and tested gcjwebplugin and it
> seems to work. But my testing was rudimentary at best.

I just installed java-gcj-compat-plugin from Debian, which claims to
provide gcjwebplugin. It provides libgcjwebplugin.so which I then linked
into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libgcjwebplugin.so.

It seems to try to work, mozilla asks if you can trust the applet but
when I answer to the affirmative it does not work. For example I have an
applet:

http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/~bob/Timer.html

which behaves this way. It shows a gray square (once it actualy showed
the clock face but was non-functional. Another example that does not
work is:

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/daily-jigsaw

which is a jigsaw puzzle that require the java plugin. The puzzle never
finishes loading. Do either work for you Andrew?

Thanks, Bob

Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 09:13:07AM -0600, Robert Jerrard wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where to get a java plugin for Debian testing on an
> AMD64? I thought www.blackdown.org was the place to get it but that site
> does not seem to exist.

so far as I know there is no java plugin for 64 bit systems. There is
the gcjwebplugin, but I"ve not used it.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Jochen Schulz

Robert Jerrard:

> Can anyone tell me where to get a java plugin for Debian testing on an
> AMD64?

As far as I know, there is none. At least not for a current Java
version. The best solution (if you really need that plugin -- I haven't
missed it yet) is to run your browser in a 32 Bit chroot.

J.
--
I like my Toyota RAV4 because of the commanding view of the traffic
jams.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM

Hi!

I don't know whether there is a debian package, but icetea works fine
for me on gentoo-amd64.

Ciao,
Olaf

Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Alex Samad

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 07:57:00PM +0200, oleid@lusi.uni-sb.de wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I don't know whether there is a debian package, but icetea works fine
> for me on gentoo-amd64.

does this have the same functionality of sun java, has it been
debianized

> Ciao,
> Olaf

"'Tis not right, a woman going into such places by herself."
Granny nodded. She thoroughly approved of such sentiments so long as
there was, of course, no suggestion that they applied to her.
(Wyrd Sisters)

Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 AM

Hi!

> does this have the same functionality of sun java, has it been
> debianized

Well, it's OpenJDK with some parts of classpath to fill the non-free
gaps. I think ist should be very compatible, even more than pure
classpath. And it works well for me.

Maybe you should have a look at this page:

http://iced-tea.org/wiki/DebianBuildingInstructions

Ubuntu has openjdk-6 (but I don't know how they differ). Maybe you can
recompile it's package for your system, too.

Ciao,
Olaf

Old 06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
"Walt L. Williams"

Good Monday Morning

Try this link:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sun+java&searchon=names&suite=stab le&section=all

On Wednesday, 28 May 2008 3:13 pm, Robert Jerrard wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where to get a java plugin for Debian testing on an
> AMD64? I thought www.blackdown.org was the place to get it but that site
> does not seem to exist.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks, Bob
>
> --
> Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
> Concordia University College of Alberta,
> 7128 Ada Blvd., Edmonton, Alberta, T5B 4E4, Canada.
> Phone: (780) 479-9291, Fax: (780) 474-1933.

--
Best Regards
Walt L. Williams

.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Micha

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:06:38 +0000
"Walt L. Williams" <waltwilliams@intergate.com> wrote:

> Good Monday Morning
>
> Try this link:
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sun+java&searchon=names&suite=stab le&section=all

First of all that is for the stable distribution (although I don't know which
one the op is using).

Anyway, if you look at the package sun-java6-plugin you will see that it is
only available for the i386 platform, not the amd64 platform