Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default java plugin for Debian testing on an AMD64?

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 03:09:36PM -0600, Robert Jerrard wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 10:21 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 09:13:07AM -0600, Robert Jerrard wrote:
> > > Can anyone tell me where to get a java plugin for Debian testing on an
> > > AMD64?
> >
> > just for the record, I just installed and tested gcjwebplugin and it
> > seems to work. But my testing was rudimentary at best.
>
> I just installed java-gcj-compat-plugin from Debian, which claims to
> provide gcjwebplugin. It provides libgcjwebplugin.so which I then linked
> into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libgcjwebplugin.so.
>
> It seems to try to work, mozilla asks if you can trust the applet but
> when I answer to the affirmative it does not work. For example I have an
> applet:
>
> http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/~bob/Timer.html

this one works for me. I installed gcjwebplugin. It seems a little
kludgey. I had to click on the 180 selector and then back to the 50
selector to get it to work, but it's now down to 46 minutes and
counting...

> which behaves this way. It shows a gray square (once it actualy showed
> the clock face but was non-functional. Another example that does not
> work is:
>
> http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/daily-jigsaw

this one does not load for me. It eventually times out and has a link
to investigate why it doesn't work. Following that link bought me to a
page that suggests they support linux, which is great, and ultimately
led to a demo on the sun servers. That works more of less ok.

So its a mixed success, I guess.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Can anyone tell me where to get a java plugin for Debian testing on an
AMD64? I thought www.blackdown.org was the place to get it but that site
does not seem to exist.

Any suggestion?

Thanks, Bob

--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,

I am using "java-gcj-compat-plugin" from main in Lenny, it's seen as
java-plugin 1.5.0 by sun's online test and works ok for my occasional needs.

Regards,

Tom