-   -   KDE 4.1 beta 1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/97382-kde-4-1-beta-1-a.html)

Paul Cartwright 05-29-2008 11:24 AM

KDE 4.1 beta 1

I see where KDE released a 4.1 beta:
http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.1-beta1.php

it also says:
Debian has KDE 4.1beta1 in experimental.

so if I am running Lenny, I have to wait for it to get to testing ?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Johannes Wiedersich 05-29-2008 11:48 AM

KDE 4.1 beta 1

Andrei Popescu 05-29-2008 12:29 PM

KDE 4.1 beta 1

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 07:24:27AM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I see where KDE released a 4.1 beta:
> http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.1-beta1.php
>
> it also says:
> Debian has KDE 4.1beta1 in experimental.
>
> so if I am running Lenny, I have to wait for it to get to testing ?

Packages from experimental don't automatically migrate to unstable (and
than testing). Also, even if it will eventually be uploaded to unstable
the developers might keep it out of testing if they decide it's not fit
to be included with Lenny.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Paul Cartwright 05-29-2008 02:48 PM

KDE 4.1 beta 1

On Thu May 29 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > Debian has KDE 4.1beta1 in experimental.
> >
> > so if I am running Lenny, I have to wait for it to get to testing ?
>
> *
> Packages from experimental don't automatically migrate to unstable (and
> than testing). Also, even if it will eventually be uploaded to unstable
> the developers might keep it out of testing if they decide it's not fit *
> to be included with Lenny.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> --

I didn't know there was experimental AND unstable...
so I should just wait and continue updating.. and wait til it trickles down to
testing.

"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" 05-29-2008 06:17 PM

KDE 4.1 beta 1

On 29/05/2008, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:
> I didn't know there was experimental AND unstable...

Experimental isn't a full distribution. You can't have a full
experimental installation. It just has a few packages that are
considered too unstable for unstable. Deemed to have a higher
probability of inducing data loss and such.

> so I should just wait and continue updating.. and wait til it trickles down to
> testing.

I heard many reports of KDE 4.0 being too buggy for use, but if you're
feeling adventurous and don't mind sidestepping Debian's package
management, you could always install KDE from source and file bug
reports. Tell the rest of us how it goes. :-)

I'm tempted to do so myself. I've been using Gnome for a while because
I got sick of KDE's Windowish complexity, but the screenshots for the
newer KDE may sway me back to the kside.

- Jordi G. H.

Paul Cartwright 05-29-2008 07:00 PM

KDE 4.1 beta 1

On Thu May 29 2008, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> I heard many reports of KDE 4.0 being too buggy for use, but if you're
> feeling adventurous and don't mind sidestepping Debian's package
> management, you could always install KDE from source and file bug
> reports. Tell the rest of us how it goes. :-)

I run Kubuntu on my laptop, it has KDE 4.0, I've run it since the beginning..

> I'm tempted to do so myself. I've been using Gnome for a while because
> I got sick of KDE's Windowish complexity, but the screenshots for the
> newer KDE may sway me back to the kside.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I just wasn't sure if I could compile it, without too many unstable
requirements...
I'm really waiting for either Kontact for KDE4 or this new replacement,
Akonadi, whatever IT is..

"Kelly Clowers" 05-31-2008 05:40 PM

KDE 4.1 beta 1

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> I just wasn't sure if I could compile it, without too many unstable
> requirements...
> I'm really waiting for either Kontact for KDE4 or this new replacement,
> Akonadi, whatever IT is..

Akonadi does not replace Kontact, it is systemwide backend for
all PIM-related data. Messages, address books, calendar data, etc.
are all stored and indexed by Akonadi. It can pull data from multiple
sources (IMAP, POP, remote ICS files, etc.) and aggregate them
behind a common interface, so Kmail, Mailody, kAddress book, etc.
only have to know how to talk to Akonadi.

The Akonadi page isn't the greatest, and is out of date, but the
diagram at least shows the idea.
http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers