Old 05-29-2008, 02:33 AM
David Zelinsky

Default choosing printers in mozilla/firefox

How do I get mozilla or firefox to recognize printers defined in
/etc/printcap? The printer list in the print dialog has only one
choice: "PostScript/default". It works, and I can change the printer
it uses by going into "properties" and changing the print command, but
that seems to defeat the purpose of a printer list.

I'm using lprng, not cups. I tried both with and without xprint
installed, with no difference. What am I missing?

-David

Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 22:33:15 -0400, David Zelinsky wrote:
> How do I get mozilla or firefox to recognize printers defined in
> /etc/printcap? The printer list in the print dialog has only one
> choice: "PostScript/default". It works, and I can change the printer
> it uses by going into "properties" and changing the print command, but
> that seems to defeat the purpose of a printer list.
>
> I'm using lprng, not cups. I tried both with and without xprint
> installed, with no difference. What am I missing?

The list of available printers should be filled automatically if xprint
is installed (from the output of "lpstat"). You might have to tweak the
Augment_Printer_List command in /etc/Xprint/C/print/Xprinters. It seems
that you can also add printers manually in this file, but I have no
experience with that.

Florian |