Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Adam Hardy

Default DRM PDFs

Just thought I'd ask, even though my web searches don't reveal anything but
Adobe promises and work-arounds involving printing to postscript on a windows
box first - but is there software for linux to read DRM pdfs?

Thanks
Adam

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> writes:

> Just thought I'd ask, even though my web searches don't reveal
> anything but Adobe promises and work-arounds involving printing to
> postscript on a windows box first - but is there software for linux to
> read DRM pdfs?

Kpdf has an option to ignore DRM restrictions, so I guess it can handle
them. But I don't have any such PDFs (at least not knowingly), so I
cannot say for sure.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Adam Hardy

Just thought I'd ask, even though my web searches don't reveal
anything but Adobe promises and work-arounds involving printing to
postscript on a windows box first - but is there software for linux to
read DRM pdfs?

Kpdf has an option to ignore DRM restrictions, so I guess it can handle
them. But I don't have any such PDFs (at least not knowingly), so I
cannot say for sure.

Checked the docs and couldn't see any such option.

That's actually based on xpdf isn't it? Tried xpdf too and couldn't find
anything either.

Found a rather useful sounding 'pdfcrack' - but it said the version I had
(presumably the pdf?) wasn't supported.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Adam Hardy wrote:
Just thought I'd ask, even though my web searches don't reveal anything
but Adobe promises and work-arounds involving printing to postscript on
a windows box first - but is there software for linux to read DRM pdfs?

AFAIK the DRM in pdf files that prevent you from printing or copying
text rely on the application to honor the restrictions. So you should
just be able to download the source of whatever application you are
using (xpdf, kpdf, evince, pdftk) and comment out the code that checks
for these restrictions. Assuming ofcourse that you are able to view the
file using one of these applications.

Thanks
Adam

-- Albert Einstein

Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 AM
John Hasler

Adam Hardy wrote:
> Just thought I'd ask, even though my web searches don't reveal anything
> but Adobe promises and work-arounds involving printing to postscript on a
> windows box first - but is there software for linux to read DRM pdfs?

Package: pdfcrack
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 52
Maintainer: Nacho Barrientos Arias <nacho@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.9-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6.1-1)
Suggests: pdf-reader
Filename: pool/main/p/pdfcrack/pdfcrack_0.9-1_i386.deb
Size: 22060
MD5sum: c477fc2e558be846bd86eebc788f02e0
SHA1: ae96d5f48b82e575f852d63a7414c720219d7985
SHA256: cc28e85babe1756338561985333a942b8209dfe22b0c5c151b db4741e63718ef
pdfcrack is a simple tool for recovering passwords from pdf-documents.
It should be able to handle all pdfs that uses the standard security handler
but the pdf-parsing routines are a bit of a quick hack so you might stumble
across some pdfs where the parser needs to be fixed to handle.
.
pdfcrack allows configure the size of the searched password, use an
external wordlist file and save cracking sessions to restore it later.
Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcrack
Tag: implemented-in::c, interface::commandline, role:rogram, scope::utility, security::cryptography, works-with::file, works-with-format:df

--
John Hasler

Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Adam Hardy

Just thought I'd ask, even though my web searches don't reveal anything
but Adobe promises and work-arounds involving printing to postscript on a
windows box first - but is there software for linux to read DRM pdfs?

Package: pdfcrack
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 52
Maintainer: Nacho Barrientos Arias <nacho@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.9-1

OK, I'll see if I can upgrade - but I'm on etch and I don't think backports goes
higher than 0.8-1.

(As per last email, I get the error 'specific version not supported')

Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Adam Hardy

Just thought I'd ask, even though my web searches don't reveal
anything but Adobe promises and work-arounds involving printing to
postscript on a windows box first - but is there software for linux to
read DRM pdfs?

AFAIK the DRM in pdf files that prevent you from printing or copying
text rely on the application to honor the restrictions. So you should
just be able to download the source of whatever application you are
using (xpdf, kpdf, evince, pdftk) and comment out the code that checks
for these restrictions. Assuming ofcourse that you are able to view the
file using one of these applications.

Haven't tried evince or pdftk yet. I'll do that now.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 28/05/2008, Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK the DRM in pdf files that prevent you from printing or copying text
> rely on the application to honor the restrictions. So you should just be
> able to download the source of whatever application you are using (xpdf,
> kpdf, evince, pdftk) and comment out the code that checks for these
> restrictions.

Opening the proverbial can of worms, could Debian patch the upstream
xpdf in this way? More convenient for all of us. I think circumventing
DRM is only illegal in some countries.

- Jordi G. H.