Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Default USB drive names

I bought some USB external hard disks recently. They automount
beautifully on a Debian system. One is a "LACIE" disk, another one
is a Western Digital "Elements" disk.

They mount as /media/LaCie and /media/Elements respectively.
Question: is it possible to change those names? E.g., if I would
like to change the names to (say) Lassie1 and Lassie2, how could I
go about it? Also, where is the name of the mount directory (now
"/media") stored?

Regards, Jan

Old 05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

I bought some USB external hard disks recently. They automount
beautifully on a Debian system. One is a "LACIE" disk, another one
is a Western Digital "Elements" disk.

They mount as /media/LaCie and /media/Elements respectively.
Question: is it possible to change those names? E.g., if I would
like to change the names to (say) Lassie1 and Lassie2, how could I
go about it? Also, where is the name of the mount directory (now
"/media") stored?

You can just change the volume label of those drives to whatever you want.

Regards, Jan

-- Albert Einstein

Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Ron Johnson wrote:
> Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> > I bought some USB external hard disks recently. They automount
> > beautifully on a Debian system.

> When you say that, do you mean the automount daemon, autofs, or
> a similar feature built into various desktops?

Sorry, I should have said "on an xfce4 system". I do not know
which mechanism is used by xfce4.

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> You can just change the volume label of those drives to whatever
> you want.

Yes, this works, thanks. One needs mtools, because these external
disks have a vfat file system on them. I found a step-by-step
description here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=65830

Regards, Jan