-   -   squid error Squid Parent: child process exited due to signal 6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/96505-squid-error-squid-parent-child-process-exited-due-signal-6-a.html)

"Mark Quitoriano" 05-27-2008 09:16 PM

squid error Squid Parent: child process exited due to signal 6

I encountered a weird problem with squid. It was aborted with signal 6
so first i thought it was the log files being 2GB in size but when i
checked my cache.log it didn't even hit 100MB so i tailed cache.log
file to see what's going on. i saw this error

2008/05/28 04:52:14| /var/spool/squid/swap.state: (13) Permission denied
FATAL: storeUfsDirOpenSwapLog: Failed to open swap log.
Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE5): Terminated abnormally.

and check the permission of swap.state and saw this

-rw-r----- 1 root proxy 6362424 2008-05-28 04:59 swap.state

how did the file became owned by root? and how can i prevent this so
my squid won't abort again when i restart the server?

Thanks!

Mark Quitoriano
Blog | http://mark.quitoriano.org
VicidialNOW! | http://www.vicidialnow.com
APUG! | http://asterisk.org.ph

"Mark Quitoriano" 05-27-2008 09:18 PM

squid error Squid Parent: child process exited due to signal 6

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Mark Quitoriano
<markquitoriano@gmail.com> wrote:
> I encountered a weird problem with squid. It was aborted with signal 6
> so first i thought it was the log files being 2GB in size but when i
> checked my cache.log it didn't even hit 100MB so i tailed cache.log
> file to see what's going on. i saw this error
>
> 2008/05/28 04:52:14| /var/spool/squid/swap.state: (13) Permission denied
> FATAL: storeUfsDirOpenSwapLog: Failed to open swap log.
> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE5): Terminated abnormally.
>
> and check the permission of swap.state and saw this
>
> -rw-r----- 1 root proxy 6362424 2008-05-28 04:59 swap.state
>

> how did the file became owned by root? and how can i prevent this so
> my squid won't abort again when i restart the server?

oh btw my server is debian 4.0 etch and my squid is version 2.6.5-6etch1.

Thanks again!