-   -   DriveReady SeekComplete Error DriveStatusError BadCRC (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/965-driveready-seekcomplete-error-drivestatuserror-badcrc.html)

SPKills 11-20-2007 01:02 AM

DriveReady SeekComplete Error DriveStatusError BadCRC

Hi,

I just (re)installed debian etch on my machine, at the first reboot i
got some errors on my harddisk and i don't really know what it's
about... But i'm pretty sure it's good at all and i probably have to
worry about...
I tried to do a fschk -c /dev/hda1 but i got a warning message telling
me that my disk is mounted and it's pretty bad to use it on a mounted
disk so i aborted.

I'm pretty new with those things and really need help.
Here is a part of 'dmesg' command :

debian:~# dmesg
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hdb: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success
[...]

end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 34030959
Buffer I/O error on device hda1, logical block 4253862
lost page write due to I/O error on hda1
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: dma_intr: status=0x53 { DriveReady SeekComplete Index Error }
[...]

Any help should be usefull !
Thx

B.

Raj Kiran Grandhi 11-20-2007 01:52 AM

SPKills wrote:

Hi,

I just (re)installed debian etch on my machine, at the first reboot i
got some errors on my harddisk and i don't really know what it's
about... But i'm pretty sure it's good at all and i probably have to
worry about...
I tried to do a fschk -c /dev/hda1 but i got a warning message telling
me that my disk is mounted and it's pretty bad to use it on a mounted
disk so i aborted.

If hda1 does not contain your "/" partition, then unmount it before
running fsck.

I'm pretty new with those things and really need help.
Here is a part of 'dmesg' command :

debian:~# dmesg
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

<snip>

hdb: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success

I used to get these messages several months back. I suspected they might
relate to a failing drive and took a backup of my most critical data.
However after several changes, including upgrading the kernel, fiddling
with the power connectors and the ide cables of the hard-disk, these
errors just stopped occuring.

end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 34030959
Buffer I/O error on device hda1, logical block 4253862
lost page write due to I/O error on hda1

This error appears to be more serious than the earlier ones though. The
only time I see this type of error is when there *is* an actual problem
with the hardware. I would recommend a backup as soon as you can manage.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

"Douglas A. Tutty" 11-20-2007 02:17 AM

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:02:29AM +0100, SPKills wrote:
> I just (re)installed debian etch on my machine, at the first reboot i
> got some errors on my harddisk and i don't really know what it's
> about... But i'm pretty sure it's good at all and i probably have to
> worry about...
> I tried to do a fschk -c /dev/hda1 but i got a warning message telling
> me that my disk is mounted and it's pretty bad to use it on a mounted
> disk so i aborted.
> I'm pretty new with those things and really need help.

What promted a (re) install?

Its either:
1. true hardware error

1.1 the drive is dying
1.2 the cable is loose
1.3 the power cable is loose or power is flaky

2. software error

2.1 bum kernel driver for the drive
2.2 some other kernel problem.

Doug.

SPKills 11-20-2007 08:05 PM

[...]

Thx for your help, after many search on the net and verifying all my
cable, testing the drive on another machine it seems that's my harddisk
is dying...

B.