Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Public Mailing Lists

Default dot in folder name in Courier or Dovecot

Hi,

I'm looking for a decent imap server that supports hierarchical folders.
My first try was Cyrus, but that one is too pedantic when accepting
legacy emails. Other suggestions were Courier and Dovecot with maildir
storage format.

Now I have lots of folders with dots in their names. And both Courier
and Dovecot treat the dot as hierarchy separator. Frequently, domain
names (as in mail.google.com) are used as folder names in my system, and
these get messed up.

Is there a way in either Courier or Dovecot to allow dots '.' in folder
names?

Cyrus has "Unix Hierarchy Convention", that appears to work well.
With Dovecot, I tried to set 'separator' to '/' in the 'namespace'
construct, but it did not help.

How can I get this Unix Hierarchy Convention in Courier or Dovecot?

Thanks,
Gordon

Nate Duehr wrote:

Joe wrote:

Public Mailing Lists wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a decent imap server with hierarchical folders. I
tried Cyrus, but Cyrus does not accept the emails that I'm trying to
copy onto it. Which other imap server has hierarchical folders? Any
experiences for share?

Thanks,
Gordon

IMAP does this by definition. I'm using Courier. Assuming a default
Debian exim4 installation, you need to switch it to using maildir
rather than mbox format, I believe all IMAP servers require this.

Courier can be set up to support maildir or mbox formats. Of course,
maildir is better.

Nate

Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Public Mailing Lists

Hi Ron,

brilliant observation. :-) I can't wait to upgrade from this ancient
Mozilla, once I get this imap stuff to work...

No, I can't change the dots to underscores, sorry. Cyrus appers to be
really smart about dots and change them secretly to charets, or
something. Is it possible to have any other imap server do this the same
way, i.e. transparently?

Would using mbox make it any better? Actually, I like the idea of
maildir of having each message in a single file, even though I don't
understand why maildir uses a dot for folder hierarchy instead of using
a directory hierarchy provided by the file system...

Cheers,
Gordon

Ron Johnson wrote:

I'm looking for a decent imap server that supports hierarchical folders.
My first try was Cyrus, but that one is too pedantic when accepting
legacy emails. Other suggestions were Courier and Dovecot with maildir
storage format.

Now I have lots of folders with dots in their names. And both Courier
and Dovecot treat the dot as hierarchy separator. Frequently, domain
names (as in mail.google.com) are used as folder names in my system, and
these get messed up.

Is there a way in either Courier or Dovecot to allow dots '.' in folder
names?

It's not Courier and Dovecot, that are the problem, but that
*Maildir* uses dots as hierarchy separator, Could you change the
dots to underscores?

BTW, you seem to be using a 2 year old version of Mozilla. Time to
upgrade!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Ron Johnson

On 05/27/08 15:27, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> brilliant observation. :-) I can't wait to upgrade from this ancient
> Mozilla, once I get this imap stuff to work...
>
> No, I can't change the dots to underscores, sorry. Cyrus appers to be
> really smart about dots and change them secretly to charets, or
> something. Is it possible to have any other imap server do this the same
> way, i.e. transparently?

Escaping the . might work. I tried it, from within Icedove, though,
and it didn't work. Maybe from the command line.

> Would using mbox make it any better?

Depends on your definition of "better". uw-imapd and (maybe)
Dovecot support mbox-backed-IMAP, so maybe that's the route you
should take.

> Actually, I like the idea of
> maildir of having each message in a single file, even though I don't
> understand why maildir uses a dot for folder hierarchy instead of using
> a directory hierarchy provided by the file system...

The courier-imap list would probably have that kind of historical
knowledge.

> Cheers,
> Gordon
>

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 05/27/08 12:38, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a decent imap server that supports hierarchical folders.
>>> My first try was Cyrus, but that one is too pedantic when accepting
>>> legacy emails. Other suggestions were Courier and Dovecot with maildir
>>> storage format.
>>>
>>> Now I have lots of folders with dots in their names. And both Courier
>>> and Dovecot treat the dot as hierarchy separator. Frequently, domain
>>> names (as in mail.google.com) are used as folder names in my system, and
>>> these get messed up.
>>>
>>> Is there a way in either Courier or Dovecot to allow dots '.' in folder
>>> names?
>>>

>> It's not Courier and Dovecot, that are the problem, but that
>> *Maildir* uses dots as hierarchy separator, Could you change the
>> dots to underscores?
>>
>> BTW, you seem to be using a 2 year old version of Mozilla. Time to
>> upgrade!!!!
>>

>>> Cyrus has "Unix Hierarchy Convention", that appears to work well.
>>> With Dovecot, I tried to set 'separator' to '/' in the 'namespace'
>>> construct, but it did not help.
>>> How can I get this Unix Hierarchy Convention in Courier or Dovecot?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Nicolas KOWALSKI

> No, I can't change the dots to underscores, sorry. Cyrus appers to
> be really smart about dots and change them secretly to charets, or
> something. Is it possible to have any other imap server do this the
> same way, i.e. transparently?

With Dovecot, you can use a namespace to define '/' as the hierarchy
separator, even if Maildir is used as storage.

BTW, what are the problems with Cyrus ?

--
Nicolas

Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Public Mailing Lists

Yes, I defined '/' as separator in the namespace with Dovecot. I'm able
to create folders that contain dots in their name, and they get messed
up in Thunderbird, as Ron confirms.

With Cyrus, I can create folders with subfolders with dots in their name
correctly. That also works with Thunderbird. So, it looks like it's not
Thunderbird's fault.

The problem with Cyrus is that Cyrus refuses to accept a large number of
emails that it considers to be not "standard compliant". E.g. it rejects
specific "From"-headers that Mozilla is using. Even though this applies
to only 1% of all email, it is still an enormous number of them.

On the web, it is suggested to use a sed-script to remove these
offending headers from the mbox files before copying them to Cyrus.
However, Mozilla's own index files (.msf) get confused if the underlying
mbox files change, and some emails just disappear. (There are also
emails disappearing if the .msf file is deleted).

BTW, mbox/Dovecot does not support hierarchical folders.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Nicolas KOWALSKI

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:59:57AM +0200, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
> Yes, I defined '/' as separator in the namespace with Dovecot. I'm
> able to create folders that contain dots in their name, and they get
> messed up in Thunderbird, as Ron confirms.

Sorry, I misread your initial post.

> The problem with Cyrus is that Cyrus refuses to accept a large number
> of emails that it considers to be not "standard compliant". E.g. it
> rejects specific "From"-headers that Mozilla is using. Even though
> this applies to only 1% of all email, it is still an enormous number
> of them.

You can patch the Cyrus sources to accept them; that's what I did (at a
previous work and at home).

In the imap/message.c file, search for IMAP_MESSAGE_CONTAINSNULL,
IMAP_MESSAGE_CONTAINSNL and IMAP_MESSAGE_BADHEADER; they are mostly used
as error return values when appending new messages in the
"message_copy_strict" function. Comment out the offending code, and it
will work.

--
Nicolas

Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hi Gordon and *,

Am 2008-05-27 19:38:28, schrieb Public Mailing Lists:
> Now I have lots of folders with dots in their names. And both Courier
> and Dovecot treat the dot as hierarchy separator. Frequently, domain
> names (as in mail.google.com) are used as folder names in my system, and
> these get messed up.
>
> Is there a way in either Courier or Dovecot to allow dots '.' in folder
> names?

No, since it is its convention.

> How can I get this Unix Hierarchy Convention in Courier or Dovecot?

Convert your "DOT" folders...

Since I am using since arround 8 years "courier" and "procmail" I have
done some heavy coding and scripting around it...

I am using procmail recipes for filtering my mailinglists and one of
them is:

----[ '/usr/share/tdtools-procmail/ML_linux' ]--------------------------
<snip>
:0
* $ ^Envelope-To:.*(${TDTP_EMAIL_ML})
{
<snip>
:0
* ! ? grep --ignore-case --regexp="${FROM}" ${WLIST}
* ? test -f ${HOME}/.procmail/ML_linux.spamfilter
{ INCLUDERC=${HOME}/.procmail/ML_linux.spamfilter }
<snip>
{
TMPVAR=`echo "${MATCH}" |tr '.' '_' |sed 's|-help@|@|' |sed 's|;.*||'`
:0
.ML_linux.${TMPVAR}/
}
#================================================= ====================
:0
* $ ^X-BeenThere:.*[${ST}]/.*
{
TMPVAR=`echo "${MATCH}" |tr '.' '_'`
:0
.ML_linux.${TMPVAR}/
}
{
TMPVAR=`echo "${MATCH}" |tr '.' '_'`
:0
.ML_linux.${TMPVAR}/
}
#================================================= ====================
:0
* $ ^Sender:.*[${ST}]/.*
{
TMPVAR=`echo "${MATCH}" |tr '.' '_' |sed 's|-owner@|@|'`
:0
.ML_linux.${TMPVAR}/
}
#================================================= ====================
:0
.ATTENTION.ML_linux/
}

As you can see, I change the DOTs into "_" while filtering.

which then create a Maildir of:

----[ command 'ld -d ~/Maildir/.ML_linux*/' ]-----------------------------
~/Maildir/.ML_linux/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.2007/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.2008/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.ADMIN/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.ADMIN.2007/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.ADMIN.2008/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.bind-announce@isc_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.bind-dlz-testers@lists_sourceforge_net/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.bind-users@isc_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linuxchix/
~/Maildir/.ML_linuxchix.2008/
~/Maildir/.ML_linuxchix.ADMIN/
~/Maildir/.ML_linuxchix.ADMIN.2008/
~/Maildir/.ML_linuxchix.grrls-only/
~/Maildir/.ML_linuxchix.grrltalk/
~/Maildir/.ML_linuxchix.techtalk/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.gphoto-user@lists_sourceforge_net/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.isdn4linux@listserv_isdn4linux_de/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.leaf-user@lists_sourceforge_net/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.linux-audio-dev@lists_linuxaudio_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.linux-audio-user@lists_linuxaudio_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.mc@gnome_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.mp3encoder@minnie_tuhs_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.mplayer-users@mplayerhq_hu/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.nut-upsuser@lists_alioth_debian_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.openldap-software@openldap_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.parsix-users@parsix_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.sed-users@yahoogroups_com/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.sitebar/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.smartmontools-support@lists_sourceforge_net/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.speedtouch@ml_free_fr/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.squid-users@squid-cache_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.users-de@httpd_apache_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.users@httpd_apache_org/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.wget@sunsite_dk/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.xen-users@lists_xensource_com/
~/Maildir/.ML_linux.zekr@googlegroups_com/

For the Debian lists I use a Filter a little bit different but equal...

----[ '/usr/share/tdtools-procmail/ML_debian' ]--------------------------
<snip>
:0
<snip>
:0
* ! ? grep --ignore-case --regexp="${FROM}" ${WLIST}
* ? test -f ${HOME}/.procmail/ML_debian.spamfilter
{ INCLUDERC=${HOME}/.procmail/ML_debian.spamfilter }
<snip>
:0
* ^X-Mailing-List:.*<debian-[-a-zA-Z0-9]+@lists.debian.org>
* ^X-Mailing-List:.*<debian-/[-a-zA-Z0-9]+
.ML_debian.${MATCH}/
#-------------------------------------------------------------------
:0
* ^X-BeenThere:.*[-a-zA-Z0-9]+@lists.alioth.debian.org
* ^X-BeenThere:.*/[-a-zA-Z0-9]+
.ML_debian.${MATCH}/
<snip>

Note: Currently I am preparing a new private debian package (very
complex) for "courier" and "procmail" and will put it under
the name "tdtools-procmail" onto my website and mirror at
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> but haveing some
problems with my Devel-Station (broken) to build the packages.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Ron Johnson