Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
"Masatran, R. Deepak"

Default Debian Etch will not boot after "aptitude upgrade"

I just did an "aptitude upgrade" of my Debian Etch system at home. After
this, it refuses to boot with the message:

request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

repeated multiple times :-( The system is well maintained. It is a AMD64
dual-core system, but the Debian is 32-bit. By the way, I have ACPI disabled
as the system will not boot if it is enabled.

I searched the web but could not find any solution to this.

I booted my Debian Etch release 0 DVD, "rescue" mode. I started a shell in
the root partition and located the Linux-Image on the DVD. The version on
DVD was 2.6.18-4-686. The installed version was 2.6.18-6-686. The
Linux-Image installed without any errors, but on rebooting, 2.6.18-4-686
gives the same old error as 2.6.18-6-686 :-(

--
Masatran, R. Deepak <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>

Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:14:59PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> I just did an "aptitude upgrade" of my Debian Etch system at home. After
> this, it refuses to boot with the message:
>
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>
> repeated multiple times :-( The system is well maintained. It is a AMD64
> dual-core system, but the Debian is 32-bit. By the way, I have ACPI disabled
> as the system will not boot if it is enabled.
>
> I searched the web but could not find any solution to this.

I assume you've seen this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2006/06/msg00165.html

it has no solution, but might be a start.

this might help too, at least to get booted:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0102.3/0006.html

he suggests "alias binfmt-464c off"

> I booted my Debian Etch release 0 DVD, "rescue" mode. I started a shell in
> the root partition and located the Linux-Image on the DVD. The version on
> DVD was 2.6.18-4-686. The installed version was 2.6.18-6-686. The
> Linux-Image installed without any errors, but on rebooting, 2.6.18-4-686
> gives the same old error as 2.6.18-6-686 :-(

You might have a bad initrd as well. I would look at the above alias
solution, or perhaps you can blacklist the module for the moment, get
booted into the proper system, and then rebuild the initrd. might
help.