Old 05-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Thierry Chatelet

Default Asus A6000 VM laptop - bad hardware support under Linux-

On Monday 26 May 2008 22:10:01 joel boujassy wrote:
> Hi there !
> As a new Linux user I must report you the big problems I had when I got
> rid of Windows and turn myself to Linux ...
Good!!

> The only trouble with Linux is a bad or erratic hardware support ; in
> particular with laptops ... Like mine !
> I have a Asus A6000 VM and I get no sound with my minijack audio output
> (I've tryed everything possible !) .

> Now what do I have to do ? I feel mad after all the time I've been
> loosing !!!

you wont mind it when you get it working to your satisfaction.

> What can I do with an operating system that cannot allow me to use 100 %
> of my machine ?!
> Don't you think it's bad engeneering to provide an operating system
> without a good driver support ?
> Linux will never be a reliable alternative to this Windows crap if the
> hardware isn't fully supported .
> The Asus A6 laptop serie is a very very common material , nothing
> exotic , just one of the most sold serie of laptops !
> So what's going on with ALSA project and other Linux team of developers ?!
> I'm just a Linux noob OK but I can't make myself up something that
> doesn't exist : Drivers and EFFICIENT HARDWARE SUPPORT INCLUDED IN THE
> OS !
> I'm trying desperatly to find sombody in the Linux world
> Thanks for reading ;
> Thanks for helping .
>
> JoŽl

Tell us which flavor of debian you installed: etch, lenny or sid?
Then do an "update-pciids" and "update-usbids", then run: "lspci" and give us
the line(s) related to your sound card and you camera. (For the camera, you
may have to run: "lsusb" as it may well be on a usb inside connector)

Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 03:37:02PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/26/08 15:10, joel boujassy wrote:
> > Hi there !
> > As a new Linux user I must report you the big problems I had when I got
> > rid of Windows and turn myself to Linux ...
> [snip]
> > What can I do with an operating system that cannot allow me to use 100 %
> > of my machine ?!
> > Don't you think it's bad engeneering to provide an operating system
> > without a good driver support ?
> > Linux will never be a reliable alternative to this Windows crap if the
> > hardware isn't fully supported .
> > The Asus A6 laptop serie is a very very common material , nothing
> > exotic , just one of the most sold serie of laptops !
> > So what's going on with ALSA project and other Linux team of developers ?!
> > I'm just a Linux noob OK but I can't make myself up something that
> > doesn't exist : Drivers and EFFICIENT HARDWARE SUPPORT INCLUDED IN THE
> > OS !
> > I'm trying desperatly to find sombody in the Linux world
> > Thanks for reading ;
> > Thanks for helping .
>
> Steve Ballmer, it's not polite to pretend you're French.

heh heh... duck!

seriously to the OP, you should provide as much information as you can
about what you are doing. Note please that laptop support is arguably
the weakest part of linux hardware support. Large chunks of laptop
hardware a very proprietary...

that said, as Steve has mentioned, provide us with the output of

lspci -v

as a starting point. Also, please tell us specifically which version
of debian you are using.

This list hosts a whole slew of very knowledgeable people who will
help those who help themselves...

Old 05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Ron Johnson

On 05/26/08 17:09, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 03:37:02PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 05/26/08 15:10, joel boujassy wrote:
>>> Hi there !
>>> As a new Linux user I must report you the big problems I had when I got
>>> rid of Windows and turn myself to Linux ...
>> [snip]
>>> What can I do with an operating system that cannot allow me to use 100 %
>>> of my machine ?!
>>> Don't you think it's bad engeneering to provide an operating system
>>> without a good driver support ?
>>> Linux will never be a reliable alternative to this Windows crap if the
>>> hardware isn't fully supported .
>>> The Asus A6 laptop serie is a very very common material , nothing
>>> exotic , just one of the most sold serie of laptops !
>>> So what's going on with ALSA project and other Linux team of developers ?!
>>> I'm just a Linux noob OK but I can't make myself up something that
>>> doesn't exist : Drivers and EFFICIENT HARDWARE SUPPORT INCLUDED IN THE
>>> OS !
>>> I'm trying desperatly to find sombody in the Linux world
>>> Thanks for reading ;
>>> Thanks for helping .
>> Steve Ballmer, it's not polite to pretend you're French.
>

> heh heh... duck!
>
> seriously to the OP, you should provide as much information as you can
> about what you are doing. Note please that laptop support is arguably
> the weakest part of linux hardware support. Large chunks of laptop
> hardware a very proprietary...
>
> that said, as Steve has mentioned, provide us with the output of
>
> lspci -v
>
> as a starting point. Also, please tell us specifically which version
> of debian you are using.
>
> This list hosts a whole slew of very knowledgeable people who will
> help those who help themselves...

Getting the latest Knoppix LiveCD and testing your hardware on it
should be any newbie's first step.

But that doesn't answer the question as to whether a rank newbie
*should* try to install and manage *any* operating system at all.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Kent West

joel boujassy wrote:

have a Asus A6000 VM and I get no sound with my minijack audio output
(I've tryed everything possible !) .

The problem remains the same no mather the sound manager ALSA or OSS
!** The problem remains the same no mather the* Linux distribution I
tryed , here is the list :

Debian - Ubuntu - Suse - Sabayon - Mandriva - Slakeware - Fedora ...

Yeah ! I've tryed them all !!!

If I want sound I just have to satisfy the crappy built-in* speaker ...
Shamefull* !

I think the problem is in the ALSA 's (and OSS) drivers because I have
the same problems with all the distribution I tryed .

Another problem is the built-in webcam doesn't work because the drivers
just don't exist !!!

Now what do I have to do ?* I feel mad after all the time I've been
loosing !!!

What can I do with an operating system that cannot allow me to use 100
% of my machine ?!

Don't you think it's bad engeneering to provide an operating system
without a good driver support ?

It seems you're sufficiently technology-literate to realize that you're
fussing at the wrong people. Blame the hardware manufacturers; they're
the ones who won't provide the drivers/information.

Apple and Microsoft would be in the exact same boat if the hardware
manufacturers refused to work with those companies the way they refuse
to work with the open-source community.

The reason so much hardware works outside of the Mac/Windows world is
because of dedicated programmers who stay up past 4AM, in their "free
time", neglecting work, neglecting wife and kids, neglecting mowing the
lawn, in order to reverse-engineer hardware specs that would cost
almost nothing for the hardware manufacturers to provide.

I can assure you, when you rant and rave at those programmers who do so
much with so little in order to benefit the community, they are
definitely "not feeling the love".

Having said that, if you're getting sound out of your internal
speakers, I suspect the problem may lie in something simpler, such as a
mixer problem. You say you've "tryed everything possible", but I have
to ask if you've fired up alsamixer and adjusted those settings? (I
also assume your user is in the audio group, since you indicate that
some sound works.)

Concerning the webcam, I have no ideas. Sorry.

--
Kent West

Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 00:32:28 Kent West wrote:

> It seems you're sufficiently technology-literate to realize that you're
> fussing at the wrong people. Blame the hardware manufacturers; they're
> the ones who won't provide the drivers/information.
>
> Apple and Microsoft would be in the exact same boat if the hardware
> manufacturers refused to work with those companies the way they refuse
> to work with the open-source community.

Apple might be in the same boat as linux, but my guess is that Microsoft would
not be in the boat, unless it's a submarine, as they would have sunk long
ago.