Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default dist-upgrade of mysql-server-5.0

Hi,

I did a dist-upgrade on Sid for the first time in 8 months and upgraded
710 packages and installed 117 new ones. Everything OK. Thanks Debian!

But the dist-upgrade of mysql-server-5.0 asked me a question:
Do you want to support connections from hosts running "Sarge" or older?

If I answer "yes" everything is as before and OK.
If I answer "no" I cannot dump the db anymore, I get "error 1045 access
denied"

But when you do a dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-5.0 you don't get asked
this question, only when you dist-upgrade.

Now I have a question: what happens when you install mysql-server-5.0
new on a system, where is that option to reconnect with older Sarge systems?

When you look in /var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server-5.0.postinst you see:

db_set mysql-server-5.0/need_sarge_compat_done true

What does that mean?

Anyone?

BTW I only use mysql as the WordPress database since 2004.

Hugo

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
"Mumia W.."

Now I have a question: what happens when you install mysql-server-5.0
new on a system, where is that option to reconnect with older Sarge
systems?

[...]

Perhaps it's available under "dpkg-reconfigure -plow mysql-server-5.0".
I don't know for certain because I have Etch.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
kj

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

But the dist-upgrade of mysql-server-5.0 asked me a question:
Do you want to support connections from hosts running "Sarge" or older?

I may be wrong but from what I remember (I upgraded from Sarge even
before Etch became stable) it's the old_passwords=1 line in your my.cnf.

"--old-passwords

Force the server to generate short (pre-4.1) password hashes for new
passwords. This is useful for compatibility when the server must
support older client programs."

Some more info:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/password-hashing.html

Basically, if you have the shorted passwords in your wordpress database,
you'll need old_passwords to be on. If not, you can ignore this.

Disclaimer: this may, of course, have absolutely nothing to do with the
dist-upgrade question you got

--kj

Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

kj wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

But the dist-upgrade of mysql-server-5.0 asked me a question:
Do you want to support connections from hosts running "Sarge" or older?

I may be wrong but from what I remember (I upgraded from Sarge even
before Etch became stable) it's the old_passwords=1 line in your my.cnf.

"--old-passwords

Force the server to generate short (pre-4.1) password hashes for new
passwords. This is useful for compatibility when the server must
support older client programs."

Some more info:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/password-hashing.html

Basically, if you have the shorted passwords in your wordpress database,
you'll need old_passwords to be on. If not, you can ignore this.

Disclaimer: this may, of course, have absolutely nothing to do with the
dist-upgrade question you got

That's exactly what I am after. However, my.cnf does not contain
old_passwords=1.

Hugo