Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default Wildly OT: apt-get joke

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:30:05PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> ASW> [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: us-ascii, 21 lines --]
> >> well, the newer versions may be flasher, but they're definitely
> >> less stable. at the end of the day, i'd rather have a lover who's been
> >> tested by the masses (& came out bug-free!) - & then installed on my
> >> machine alone - than the newest version which may segfault on me at any
> >> time...
> ASW> hmmm... not sure about the "tested by the masses" part, though ending
> ASW> up bug-free is definitely good. Maybe adequately tested is better?
>
> granted, but i didn't want my boyfriend to read this & feel bad
> for being a giant slut before we got together.

He shouldn't feel bad for being who he is! <rimshot!>

Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 06:36:21AM +0200, s. keeling wrote:
> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net>:
> > Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > ASW> [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: us-ascii, 21 lines --]
> > ASW> hmmm... not sure about the "tested by the masses" part, though ending
> > ASW> up bug-free is definitely good. Maybe adequately tested is better?
> >
> > granted, but i didn't want my boyfriend to read this & feel bad
> > for being a giant slut before we got together.
>
> High praise. This is the funniest post/thread I've read on this list,
> ever.
>
> [Ron, what happens if crank is female?]

Ooh! I know the answer to this one! We all crowd around her, sort of
giggling. A variety of questions get asked ultimately focusing on how
it must be weird to be the only woman around here. How it must have
helped her to be female in the <insert tech oriented degree>
department. Then when she's had enough scrutiny, she wanders away and
we're all left wondering what happened. lather rinse repeat. ;-P

Old 05-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 05:13:47AM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> sk> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net>:
> >> granted, but i didn't want my boyfriend to read this & feel bad
> >> for being a giant slut before we got together.
> sk> High praise. This is the funniest post/thread I've read on this list,
> sk> ever.
> sk> [Ron, what happens if crank is female?]
>
> well, turns out i am female, but it'd leave a bad taste to this
> thread if we've uncovered anyone's homophobia.

oh don't worry. We'll uncover someone's homophobia quite nicely. So
long as the topic doesn't drift to religion, we'll be okay.

> i mean, way more of a bad
> taste than my previously-slutty boyfriend could've had he not come to me
> bug-free. ;D

Come on, all geeks know nothing is bug free. The bugs just haven't
been found yet. The hope is that you come up with a work-around, or
have so much stuff locked up in his proprietary format that it's not
worth the bother to switch. I mean, people somehow live with
Windows... I'm sure you guys'll do fine! ;-P

Old 05-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 05:11:53AM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >> granted, but i didn't want my boyfriend to read this & feel bad
> >> for being a giant slut before we got together.
> RJ> This is not the Dr. Phil Show: there are some things that *we* just
> RJ> do *not* need to know.
>
> hey, i figure - we're already WILDLY off-topic, right? how much
> worse can it get?

you must be new here.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 05:07:31PM +0300, Raymond A. Meijer wrote:
> On Tue 27 May 2008 8:56, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > > hey, i figure - we're already WILDLY off-topic, right? how much
> > > worse can it get?
>
> > A lot worse.
>
> /me grabs pop corn and Coca Cola... :-P

the worse it gets, the closer we are to release of Lenny... That would
be an interesting study... the occurrence of "OT" subjects as related
to the release dates...

Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>> sk> i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net>:
>> well, turns out i am female, but it'd leave a bad taste to this
>> thread if we've uncovered anyone's homophobia.
ASW> oh don't worry. We'll uncover someone's homophobia quite nicely. So
ASW> long as the topic doesn't drift to religion, we'll be okay.

i am very relieved, thank you.

so, who wants the photos?

ASW> Come on, all geeks know nothing is bug free. The bugs just haven't
ASW> been found yet. The hope is that you come up with a work-around, or
ASW> have so much stuff locked up in his proprietary format that it's not
ASW> worth the bother to switch. I mean, people somehow live with
ASW> Windows... I'm sure you guys'll do fine! ;-P

i DID get him to switch two of his three computers to debian...
the windows machine exists solely so he cav VPN to work with proprietary
software. that's one bugfix... well, 2/3rds of one anyhow.

lish "oh, how the world still
crank@got.net dearly loves a cage." -ma

Old 05-27-2008, 03:22 PM

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
ASW> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 06:36:21AM +0200, s. keeling wrote:
>> [Ron, what happens if crank is female?]
ASW> Ooh! I know the answer to this one! We all crowd around her, sort of
ASW> giggling. A variety of questions get asked ultimately focusing on how
ASW> it must be weird to be the only woman around here. How it must have
ASW> helped her to be female in the <insert tech oriented degree>
ASW> department. Then when she's had enough scrutiny, she wanders away and
ASW> we're all left wondering what happened. lather rinse repeat. ;-P

welp, considering i've been on usenet since 1996, that
wandering-away part isn't likely, but i'm good with the rest of it. & i do
indeed work for an ISP.

http://tinyurl.com/ail9
http://compunction.org/art.html

allow me to draw further attention to myself.

lish "who the hell are you
crank@got.net & why are you talking to me?" -pm

Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
ASW> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:30:05PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
>> granted, but i didn't want my boyfriend to read this & feel bad
>> for being a giant slut before we got together.
ASW> He shouldn't feel bad for being who he is! <rimshot!>

oh, he doesn't. seriously, do you want the pics?

lish "never cheer before
crank@got.net you know who's winning." -fnm

Old 05-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Hal Vaughan

wrote:
> > s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:

> > sk> High praise. This is the funniest post/thread I've read on
> > this list, sk> ever.
> > sk> [Ron, what happens if crank is female?]
> >
> > well, turns out i am female, but it'd leave a bad taste to this
> > thread if we've uncovered anyone's homophobia.
>
> oh don't worry. We'll uncover someone's homophobia quite nicely. So
> long as the topic doesn't drift to religion, we'll be okay.
>
> > i mean, way more of a bad
> > taste than my previously-slutty boyfriend could've had he not come
> > to me bug-free. ;D
>
> Come on, all geeks know nothing is bug free.

I wrote a C++ program that was bug free once. Worked perfectly every
time. Here's the source:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(const int argc, char* argv[]) {
cout << "Hello World
";
}

I've got a similar one I wrote in Perl that's bug free and one in Java
and one in TCL and I've even ported it to a few other languages.

Hal