Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
abelahcene

Default small debian on miniPC

Hi,
I want to install small linux, preferrable debian like, on miniPC DT166
, gedeo. Thh disk (flash is small just 512 MB) , i have to install X, it
will be used to run a graphical application from server. With
standard debian I have a pb with video card, it is not detected
automatically.

thanks for help
bela

Old 05-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Mihira Fernando

On Monday 26 May 2008 21:51:52 abelahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to install small linux, preferrable debian like, on miniPC DT166
> , gedeo. Thh disk (flash is small just 512 MB) , i have to install X, it
> will be used to run a graphical application from server. With
> standard debian I have a pb with video card, it is not detected
> automatically.
>
> thanks for help
> bela

There is Damn Small Linux ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ) which is
derivative of Debian and it is extremely small and it has X. Give it a try.

Mihira.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 27 May 2008 00:03:31 +0530
Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 26 May 2008 21:51:52 abelahcene wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to install small linux, preferrable debian like, on miniPC DT166
> > , gedeo. Thh disk (flash is small just 512 MB) , i have to install X, it
> > will be used to run a graphical application from server. With
> > standard debian I have a pb with video card, it is not detected
> > automatically.
> >
> > thanks for help
> > bela
>
> There is Damn Small Linux ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ) which is
> derivative of Debian and it is extremely small and it has X. Give it a try.

Or try grml-medium - it's under 200MB, it has X and fluxbox, and IIUC,
it's closer to actual Debian than DSL. From the FAQ
(http://grml.org/faq/):

What is grml-medium?

grml-medium is a grml-flavour which tries to close the gap between
grml-small and normal/large/full version of grml. grml-medium is an ISO
with a maximum size of ~200MB providing the most important packages a
sysadmin usually needs. It provides the same kernel version as normal
grml does so you can easily integrate and use some further existing
external modules as well. The X.org server is shipped as well as the
window manager fluxbox. accessibility features are not
available/supported (currently) on grml-medium though.

What is the difference between grml-small and DSL?

DSL and grml-small have different target audiences. Damn Small Linux
(DSL) uses kernel version 2.4 whereas grml-small provides a recent
version of kernel version 2.6. DSL provides the X window system which
grml-small does not. grml-small on the other hand provides the most
important packages for sysadmins and ships the original Debian package
management which allows you to install packages of the Debian pool with
no modifications.

> Mihira.

Celejar

Old 05-26-2008, 11:55 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 05:21:52PM +0100, abelahcene wrote:
> I want to install small linux, preferrable debian like, on miniPC DT166
> , gedeo. Thh disk (flash is small just 512 MB) , i have to install X, it
> will be used to run a graphical application from server. With
> standard debian I have a pb with video card, it is not detected
> automatically.

You may want to consider OpenBSD or NetBSD, either of which have howto's
available for use with flash drives, have X in base and will fit without
problems in 512 MB. It should work out-of-the-box with very minimal
tweaking.

Doug.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Kevin Mark

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 07:50:33PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008 00:03:31 +0530
> Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Monday 26 May 2008 21:51:52 abelahcene wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I want to install small linux, preferrable debian like, on miniPC DT166
> > > , gedeo. Thh disk (flash is small just 512 MB) , i have to install X, it
> > > will be used to run a graphical application from server. With
> > > standard debian I have a pb with video card, it is not detected
> > > automatically.
> > >
> > > thanks for help
> > > bela
> >
> > There is Damn Small Linux ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ) which is
> > derivative of Debian and it is extremely small and it has X. Give it a try.
>
> Or try grml-medium - it's under 200MB, it has X and fluxbox, and IIUC,
> it's closer to actual Debian than DSL. From the FAQ
> (http://grml.org/faq/):

My XO-1 with 1 GB has 2 OS's (Sugar and Debian) each takes about 300MB,
so if you start with the basic install, add X and fvwm, it should be
fine. look into debootstrap, iirc.
--K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Richard Möhn

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:03:31AM +0530, Mihira Fernando wrote:
> On Monday 26 May 2008 21:51:52 abelahcene wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to install small linux, preferrable debian like, on miniPC DT166
> > , gedeo. Thh disk (flash is small just 512 MB) , i have to install X, it
> > will be used to run a graphical application from server. With
> > standard debian I have a pb with video card, it is not detected
> > automatically.
> >
> > thanks for help
> > bela
>
> There is Damn Small Linux ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ) which is
> derivative of Debian and it is extremely small and it has X. Give it a try.
>
> Mihira.

I don't advice you using DSL. I died using it, because everytime I
wanted to do something administrative, this system did something to
prohibit this. Sure, Doctor Diagoras would be happy, but I am not.
Maybe it is better if you have connection to the internet.

Greetings

Richard