Old 05-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Kent West

Default GRUB error 29

Debian Linux wrote:

Hi,

I installed the Debian 4.0r2 onto my laptop where Win XP has already
been there. After the installation, I'm able to boot Debian from GRUB
menu but not for Win XP and GRUB error 29 is appearing on the screen,
saying

error 29: Disk write error
press any key to continue

When I follow the above instruction, it brings me back to the GRUB
boot menu and I lost from there

Could anyone please diagnose what's wrong with the GRUB installation?
Thanks

These links look promising:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-February/076226.html

The first one basically says:
I had the same problem. In my case it was caused by the bootable flag
being disabled on XP's partition.

- run 'sudo cfdisk <device>' (In my case, XP is installed on /dev/hda
so <device> would be that)

- enable the bootable flag for the NTFS partition
- write changes
- quit
- reboot

Hopefully this fixes it for you.

The second one basically says:

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:07:10PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
>/ I did a brief check on the net, and it seems to be bug that has been
/>/ fixed. What version of GRUB are you using? The bug was that GRUB wasn't
/>/ mounting the disks read-write.
/>/
/>/ Alternatively, maybe you want to make a GRUB boot disk, and then try
/>/ installing from that?
/>/
/I am using grub 0.95.

This was exactly my point as I don't own a floppy drive. Anyway the
solution i found after some searching was to use grub-install /dev/hda
instead of using the grub cli. Anyway grub-install worked just fine
Thank you for your time.

--
Kent West

Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 AM
"Debian Linux"

My GRUB version is 0.97

Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 AM
"Debian Linux"

Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 AM
"Debian Linux"

Hi Kent,
*
Would you please be able to provide me the detailed info on how to use grub-install and not to use grub cli
*
I have had the similar problem with unbunto 7.10 and I think it is the backbone problem

*

Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

grub-install /dev/hda (or any device you want to install on). When using
a resuce-disk, first chroot to your normal root.

Sjoerd

<http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>

Old 05-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Kent West

Debian Linux wrote:

Hi Kent,

Would you please be able to provide me the detailed info on how to use
grub-install and not to use grub cli

Not really, since I never really got comfortable with how grub works.

But basically, as I understand it, boot into your Debian system as a
single-user system (the grub menu probably has a "safe mode" option
(although it may not be called that)).

Then just run "grub-install /dev/hda", assuming /dev/hda is your boot drive.

--
Kent West

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Peter Wollny

Le lundi 26 mai 2008, Debian Linux a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I installed the Debian 4.0r2 onto my laptop where Win XP has
> already been there. After the installation, I'm able to boot Debian
> from GRUB menu but not for Win XP and GRUB error 29 is appearing on
> the screen, saying
>
> error 29: Disk write error
> press any key to continue
>
> When I follow the above instruction, it brings me back to the GRUB
> boot menu and I lost from there
>
> Could anyone please diagnose what's wrong with the GRUB
> installation?
>
> BTW, is there any debian error database around the internet for me
> to find the solution, like Microsoft error db?
>

> Thanks

Try to set the boot flag for your win partition.

--
Peter Wollny

Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM
"Thomas Johnson"