Old 05-26-2008, 04:30 AM
paragasu

Default both mysql and mysql_safe is running?

i am using debian etch on my server,
ps ax reveal that, mysql and mysql_safe process running at the same time,,
is it normal?

my workstation using debian sid. executing the same command (ps ax)
show only mysql process are running.

is it ok to disable the mysql_safe process?

Old 05-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Kim Christensen

paragasu wrote:

> i am using debian etch on my server,
> ps ax reveal that, mysql and mysql_safe process running at the same time,,
> is it normal?
>
> my workstation using debian sid. executing the same command (ps ax)
> show only mysql process are running.
>
> is it ok to disable the mysql_safe process?

mysql_safe is a wrapper script which starts mysqld, and makes sure it
gets restarted if it should die unexpectedly.

You could check process inheritance by appending the "f" flag to ps:

# ps aufx

Regards,
Kim
--
|_|O|_| Kim Christensen
|_|_|O| Public key: http://rac.nu/kchr.asc

Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
paragasu

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Kim Christensen <kchr-list-debian@rac.nu> wrote:

paragasu wrote:

> i am using debian etch on my server,

> ps ax reveal that, mysql and mysql_safe process running at the same time,,

> is it normal?

> my workstation using debian sid. executing the same command (ps ax)

> show only mysql process are running.

> is it ok to disable the mysql_safe process?

mysql_safe is a wrapper script which starts mysqld, and makes sure it

gets restarted if it should die unexpectedly.

You could check process inheritance by appending the "f" flag to ps:

# ps aufx

Regards,

Kim

--

|_|O|_| *Kim Christensen

|_|_|O| *Public key: http://rac.nu/kchr.asc

() ascii ribbon campain - against html e-mail

do you mean? it is ok to leave it by just like this. and i don't have to do
anything about it?

thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Kim Christensen

paragasu wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Kim Christensen <kchr-list-debian@rac.nu>
> wrote:
>
>> paragasu wrote:
>>
>>> i am using debian etch on my server,
>>> ps ax reveal that, mysql and mysql_safe process running at the same
>> time,,
>>> is it normal?
>>>
>>> my workstation using debian sid. executing the same command (ps ax)
>>> show only mysql process are running.
>>>
>>> is it ok to disable the mysql_safe process?
>> mysql_safe is a wrapper script which starts mysqld, and makes sure it
>> gets restarted if it should die unexpectedly.
>>
>> You could check process inheritance by appending the "f" flag to ps:
>>
>> # ps aufx

>> do you mean? it is ok to leave it by just like this. and i don't have
to do

> anything about it?
>
> thanks

Basically speaking, what mysql_safe does is keeping tabs on the main
mysql process. You're not running two MySQL instances on the same time,
just a small script (mysql_safe) which in turn calls on the main binary
(mysqld*).

This is the Debian way of running MySQL (maybe other distros, too).

Regards,
Kim